15

Tears stop running down my cheek as it seems like there is no more water left to cry

Amma and baba would never force me to marry someone I do not like. This is just a bad dream. A very bad dream.

My phone begins to ring and seeing that it's my sister I answer it.

"Yeah?" I ask as I see her face.

"What the fuck is amu on about? You're getting married? Why?" Aaliyah asks me confused.

Did no one really know?

"I don't know. But the man is horrible. He's the opposite of me."

"Isn't that a good thing? Ever since you were 14 you've been raving about the grumpy x sunshine trope." My sister replies.

"He is not grumpy, he's a douchebag. I want an Angelo in my life." I groan and realize what I just said.

"Who's Angelo? A character from one of those books you read?" She asks and I smile to myself.

"Yeah. He's a tall, tattooed, scary man but when you get to know him he's kind, considerate, and gentle. He is too freaking perfect. No real man could ever amount to him." I tell her.

"Amu would get a heart attack if she heard what you're saying." Liya is right. Amma would never like a man like Angelo just because of his looks.

"I'm not marrying Malik," I say and she shakes her head.

"You're not marrying Malik. You know who can talk some sense into her?"

"Don't say baba he's getting old, he wants me to get married as soon as possible or at least find someone," I reply but she shuts me up.

"Hamza! Amma listens to Hamza about everything. He could tell her that you're too young to marry or it intercepts with your studies. She'll listen." My sister gives me a suggestion.

I have to go begging Hamza?! That's too low.

"I'm only 20 years old. Why now?" I ask her and she frowns.

"There aren't any good Sylheti boys in Los Angeles who fit your criteria. When amu finds one she'll do anything to make them stay." Aliyah explains it to them.

"Even let her daughter go through Jahannam," I say and my sister smiles.

"You don't actually have to marry him. Amma will cry and get super depressed but she'll get over it. And then for baba, it's easy, just tell him that you won't marry the man. Baba has always been petty to us, it's whatever." She's right. It's the 21st century no one can force me to do something. I'll just tell my parents and face the wrath.

"Okay, thanks. Love you." I say and hang up. I walk downstairs where my mother and father are drinking tea.

You got this Inaya. Just say it.