18

I stare at Omar holding my phone and laugh

"Best friend, what are you doing?" I ask him as I grab my phone

"I wanted to play a game but I ended up calling someone." He grins and I smile.

I look at who he called and my heart stops for a second. Angelo.

"Who did I call, fufu?"

"A friend of mine," I reply and he smiles.

"Okay." Omar skips away and I fall onto my bed. That was a close one.

I call Angelo back and he answers panic written in his voice.

"Naya I'm 2 minutes away from your house. Is everything okay?!" I laugh to myself as I hear his heavy breathing.

"Omar called you." I giggle and I can hear his sigh.

"Thank Allah. He scared the hell out of me."

"If you're here we can hang out, umm if you want. I don't know. I feel bad because you drove all the way here. Ice cream on me?." I say feeling uncomfortable. I'm the biggest hypocrite ever! Amma would have my head on a platter if she found out.

"I'd like that. But I'm not letting you pay."

"Angelo that's not fair. You always pay, why can't I be the multi-billionaire for once?!" I whine and I can hear his amusement through the phone.

"Inaya, you don't have a job." He just broke my heart.

"Touché. Then on Amir tonight." I say holding my credit card between my fingers with a smirk on my face. I love my brother.

I walk downstairs not sure how I'm going to tell my parents that I am going out at 11 P.M to get ice cream with a boy.

Oh my Allah. Saying that out loud just sounds even worse.

What was I thinking?!

Abort.

Abort.

I call back Angelo and he answers on the 1st ring. "Yes, Naya?"

"I just realized that it's actually too late to go out. I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking earlier. My parents won't let me leave the house." I say in one breath sadness written in my tone. I hate canceling on people because what if I made them excited and then crush their dreams?

"Oh, it's okay sweetheart. No worries. I'll call you back." UGH, Inaya you just killed Angelo. He hates you. He despises you. He's never going to forgive you!

I spend 5 minutes in my room contemplating my life choices. How am I going to find a way to get out of the marriage with Malik?

At this point, it seems that I have zero choices in the matter.

I hear a knock on my window and I fall backward out of my bed.