21

All night sleep did not consume me as one singular thought swarmed in my head

All night sleep did not consume me as one singular thought swarmed in my head. Angelo...my Angelo is saying the shahada today.

EEK!

I have been waiting for this moment forever...well, I suppose only a year but still!

The thought that I a regular Muslim middle class hijabi girl am the reason a billionaire dangerous man found Islam is astonishing.

Angelo is going to say the shahada at the mosque and his whole family will be there. This is going to be one of my favorite days ever.

The whole morning I have a giant smile plastered on my face even though my parents have been throwing glares at me any chance they got.

"I'm going out," I tell my parents who are sitting in the living room, drinking tea with frowns on their faces. Both my parents are still upset that I broke off my engagement with Malik and they haven't spoken to me since unless necessary.

"No." My father says and my smile falters.

"I have to. It's very important."

"I don't care. You are staying home. We can't trust that you aren't hanging out with boys especially after ending your marriage with Malik. But don't worry we'll find you a new man." Baba says and I internally roll my eyes. My older siblings all married the man and women of my parent's choosing which is why I am the disappointment child. The odd one out.

"Fine, I'm going to Aaliyah's house." I completely go over the whole finding me a new man because I'm not letting anything ruin my day.

"She's at work," Amma tells me and I ball my fists. Come on, think. Who's home? Who's home? Hamza!

"Okay, Hamza's then," I reply and baba nods hesitantly.

"Fine, go. But I will be calling him to make sure that you are there." My parents' trust in me broke and I have no idea how it will ever recover.

I nod and close the front door behind me as I drive to Hamza's house. I'm not a liar and I'm not going to start now.

I use my spare key and enter his house. "HAMMY!" I yell laughing. Hammy is such a funny word and he hates it. Which obviously means it's now my favorite nickname of his.

"I'm studying. What are you doing here?" Damn, politeness isn't one of his "many" qualities, is it?

"I'm at your place...right?" I ask him and he nods.

"Unfortunately, why?" He looks up from his laptop, and gestures for me to sit down as I do.

"Baba is going to call you to see if I'm at your house and because I am at your house, you should say yes," I say. Loopholes!

"Why?" Hamza and all his questions.

"Because I am at your house," I tell my brother. He's a little slow sometimes.