34

As I point out my relatives and give Angelo an in-depth character analysis of them, the rest of the Russo siblings intently listen

"Wait who's that again?" Angelo asks discreetly pointing to an older lady, who is talking to my mother.

"That is my cousin, Asifa. She is twenty years older than me but is very judgmental and nosy. Anything you tell her will be spread to everyone in the family by the hour.  You should try and never entertain a conversation with her." Angelo nods along and it is almost as if I can see the wheels turning in his head to remember these people.

I look up from Angelo's eyes to see my cousin approaching me. Oh my, Allah. "Incoming. Would you like me to introduce you as a friend or fiancé?" I ask Angelo quickly as I watch Asifa nearing closer.

"I think it would be best if we are to say just friends because it is Hamza's wedding reception today." He tells me and I agree standing up as I plaster a smile on my face.

"Hi! It's so nice to see you. Thank you for coming." I say hugging her. After many unbearable seconds, I let go of her tight grip and exhale, glad that my smile did not falter. I am a happy person who loves easily but I am not an admirer of people who openly judge others.

"Hi." My cousin looks behind me at the Russo siblings and I internally groan. Here comes the questions. "Who are they?" Asifa asks and I have to physically stop myself from rolling my eyes. I look behind me at the Russos and give them a short smile before turning back to my cousin.

"These are some...family friends." Asifa stares at each and every one of them and stops at Angelo. Of course, my future husband is staring at me with admiration as he always does.

"Be honest, is one of them your boyfriend?" She asks in Bengali and Angelo chokes on his water. I try to compose myself to not break into a fit of giggles and to give a believable answer. It is Hamza and Layla's day.

"Astagfirullah, Asifa apu. (sister) Why would you say that? I can be friends with the opposite gender without having haram feelings. Go talk to my mother, please." I say trying to conceal my laugh. Angelo stuffs his mouth with food to hide his chuckle and my cousin leaves. Once she is out of hearing distance I look at Angelo and we both break out into a fit of laughter.

"That's what I meant when I said nosy," I say taking a sip of my Sprite. I finish my analysis of my relatives when my phone buzzes with a text from Aaliyah.

Aaliyah: Where are you? The event is starting.

"I must go. I will see you all after." I say getting out of my chair and making my way toward my siblings.

I stand next to my brother as I wait for the MC to introduce us. Aaliyah turns to me, looking up from her phone. "Did anyone ask questions about Angelo and the Russo siblings?"

"Of course. Asifa was on my butt about them." I reply laughing and we get in line order when the MC finishes introducing Layla's family.

The MC begins presenting my siblings and me and this is the part that I am always reluctant about because it is the most uncomfortable part of the event. I walk in with Aaliyah and Amir, the latter being in the middle as I groan wanting to hide behind my hijab, away from everyone's eyes. The Russos fill the room with their loud clapping and cheering as my sister looks at me with a grin. None of them are making this easier for me. I stand on stage with the rest of my family as the cameraman takes pictures of us.