27

I pace around the Russo's living room with worry as Angelo tries calming me down

"Inaya please, everything will work out in the end." He pleads but I do not believe him. I chose today to tell my siblings about Angelo. I am still working up the courage to tell my parents but telling my siblings shouldn't be too hard. Though I can not stop overthinking all the possibilities.

What if they are exactly like my parents?

Will they hate me forever?

I take a deep breath as I sit back on the sofa. I got this.

"When are you meeting up with them?" Chasity asks me and I look at the time.

"In 20 minutes," I state.

"Won't you be late then?"

"No, it's alright. I like drawing suspense." I smile as I grab a pillow and suffocate myself with it.

"Everything will work out, Naya. There is a high chance your siblings will be understanding." Angelo says pulling the pillow from my face.

What about the sliver of a chance that they don't? What if I lose my siblings? This is terrifying.

I look down at my phone and see a text from my sister.

Aaliyah: Where are you?

Aaliyah: We're all here.

Aaliyah: Get your ass out of bed.

Me: I'm coming.

They're early. I don't have time to prepare my script. "I have to go. I'll keep you guys updated." I bid the Russos goodbye and walk to my car.

Okay, Inaya you got this. This will be easy. All you have to do is convince your siblings to be on your side so they can back you up to your parents.

Amir will be the easiest. He doesn't care who I marry.

Aaliyah and Hamza. Those are the two I am worried about. But if Hamza is on my side then amma will eventually come to her senses.

I pull up to our brunch spot and take a deep breath. I can do this.

I enter the restaurant and see my siblings at the far-right table. I walk slowly, stalling as much as I could.

I get to the table and Aaliyah sighs. "Finally you're here. What do you have to say that is so important, we couldn't bring the in-laws?"

"I can only trust the people who exited the same mother," I say but then realize that I almost insulted their spouses. "Don't get me wrong, I love the in-laws. But this doesn't concern them." I say and Hamza looks annoyed.