Mashallah

Mashallah

Mashallah

Mashallah

"Am I dreaming?" This can not be real. Angelo Russo wants to convert to Islam?

"I'm being serious Inaya. I want to be Muslim. I want to learn more about Islam."

"You want my help? Me. Inaya Ibrahim. Me to help you? Me?" I think I'm going to pass out. Ya Allah SWT, you are so amazing. I love you.

"Yes, Inaya. I want your help."

"But-wait why? I mean I'm honored and I will help you but I'm not a sheikh, I don't know everything about Islam. Have you tried google? Google can help a lot." I ramble as Angelo stares at me, intensely.

"Inaya, I want to be a Muslim in the way that you are. I like the teachings that you live by. You are the one who made me fall in love with Islam, that's why I want to learn from you." What he just said is better than a freaking love declaration. Breathe in, breathe in.

"Mashallah! Mashallah! I will definitely help. I will help with all my heart. I will do everything for you to learn more about Islam. Chasity, did you hear that? Angelo wants to convert to Islam!" I couldn't control myself I was so proud of him. I squeal and fall back onto Chasity's bed kicking the air.

"Damn, I should have reacted more enthusiastically when I found out Angelo was going to convert." I run and hug the living light out of Chasity. I squeeze her jumping up and down, smiling.

Tears start falling out of my eyes as I wipe them away. "Naya, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" I'm so freaking sensitive.

"I'm just so happy. You want to convert to Islam?" I ask for conformation.

"Of course. Seeing you and how content you are in your religion made me more compelled to Islam
than any other religion. Islam is filled with kind and forgiving people. I want to be one of them." I tell her and she smiles, putting her hand to her heart.

"Yes, Islam is a wonderful religion. Everyone is accepting of it. The media makes it out to be so hateful and oppressed but that is not even close to what it is. Only the people who are truly devoted to Islam and Allah wouldn't judge you or anyone for that matter. But of course, no one is perfect and we can always just hope to be enough." He listens to me intently as if he's processing each word I say.

"Once I become more educated on Islam, I hope to convert one day."

"Alhamdulillah. I will always help with any questions you have. I was born a Muslim does not mean I didn't have to learn about it as well. You will always have me Angelo for anything. And if I don't know something we'll figure it out together." I tell him, joy filling my heart.

I'm not sure why but that news brightened my whole day. I have never been more happier for anyone. Angelo has always lived life on the edge and I have been making dua for him every day to find some contentment in his life. Inshallah, him converting to Islam is the peace he has always longed for.

Inaya is genuinely happy for me

No one has ever been this happy for me. Not even my siblings.

She was crying...for me.

Not because of me.

It is time to tell my brothers. They are all very accepting of Inaya and Islam so I do not doubt that they will be anything less than loving.

"Angelo, why did you make us all gather here?" My older brother Marcello asks.

"I have news."

"I know what it is!" Chasity yells from the 15th floor.

"I'm planning to convert to Islam," I say and they all smile. Them smiling at the same time, facing me is very creepy but my heart swells in cheer.

"Daddy owes me a coca-cola." My little niece Christy says.

"What?"

"Most of us already knew. But we are very proud of you." They knew?

"What do you mean, "you knew"?" I ask, raising an eyebrow and Rocco speaks up. "Angelo, you literally have been saying Alhamdulillah and In sha'Allah 10 times a day. You're not Arab so why else would you say it?" Shit, he's right. Shoot- I need to stop cussing.

"And I may have been trying to watch Illegal movies on your laptop and wandered on your bookmark page about converting to Islam. Oh, and by the way, you have a virus now." I flip off my younger brother Antonio and he laughs.

However, my eldest brother Leonardo gives me his serious stare, "But real talk-You are not doing this for Inaya, correct Because even if you do convert her parents will never accept you."

"I'm aware. But I am doing this for myself. I want to be Muslim and I want to be closer to Allah. Inaya will always just be a friend."

"That must have been really hard for you to say, eh buddy?" I punch Donatello in the arm and he rolls his eyes.

"Oh my goodness, I actually have a present for you! Well, we have a present for you. I bought the gift though." My sister-in-law Maddie says. She runs into a room and grabs a bag. As I wait there I can't stop myself from smiling at everyone's reaction.

I am loved.

"After Antonio told me about what he saw on your laptop, I thought it would be fitting to buy things to help you with your journey. In here I bought you a Jai Namaz, a Quran, and also a Quran with an English translation and Arabic parallel text so you can understand what you're reading." I love my family. Allah blessed me with the most caring and accepting brothers I could ever ask for. I love everyone else just as much too, especially my only sister Chasity. I would never admit it out loud but Chasity may as well be the backbone of the family. That insane brunette girl who drinks more monster energy drinks than water a day keeps us sane.

I hug her as I thank them all. My phone tings and it's a picture of a wedding cake that Inaya sent in the group chat we have with Chasity.

Naya NyQuil 😊🔫: A couple broke up 2 days before their wedding so now they're not picking up their wedding cake anymore. I feel bad for them but it's red velvet cake so I guess we're feasting tonight!

Sibling #7: I love red velvet cake. OH MY GOODNESS. I love you so much. Please take my liver! Please spit on me!

Me: Red velvet cake is my favorite. See you tonight Naya!

I am about to place a heart next to her name when I stop myself. She is just a friend, Angelo.

I'm surrounded by people who inspire me to do better every day and I can finally say with all sincerity...

I love my life.