ONYIYE THAT GIRL

ONYIYE THAT GIRL
CHAPTER 4

ONYIYE MAZIBUKO

"Nyi!" A hard knock on the door. She gets startled and throws the pillow aside.
The person let's themselves in and find Onyiye sited innocently on the sponge with her swollen eyes.
"Nyi, what's wrong." As very dark as she is Lindiwe can see right through her.
She knows her friend more than anyone.
"Sthuphethu, didn't you say you were leaving this morning?" Onyiye changes the topic.
"I am but I couldn't leave without seeing my best friend." Lindiwe settles down next to her. "Did you fill the forms? I need to take them with me."
Onyiye burst into tears and Lindiwe wondered what seems to be the problem.
"Hey, talk to me. What's wrong."
"As you knew, I got a job at the bottle store - tavern whatever you call it. I got fired today because they said apparently I stole money. Not only that, that has been eating me up…." she stops talking and takes a deep breath. "When I got back home days ago, the forms you brought for me to fill out where burnt to ashes right infront of my eyes. I'm hurt friend - I really am."
"Why is your mother so evil? Why not look for your father?"
"She refused to tell me who my father is. Judging by the name I have and the colour of my skin. I think he resides in Nigeria, Kenya, Zambia - you knows those countries."
"I understand," Lindiwe side hugs her. She pulls out for her old phone giving it to her. "I know it's not much but I would like us to communicate when I'm gone, tell me all the juicy stuffs."
"This is your phone nje."
"Was, Tata bought me a new one. So I don't mind giving it to you."
"What will I ever be without you?" Onyiye sniffs taking the phone out of her hands.
"Sthuphethu esilahla kwi matric dance." They look at each other and burst into laughter.
"Mxm," Onyiye says still laughing. "You crazy."
"I know and you love me that way. Let me show you something that I need you too do for me when I'm gone cause I don't have enough time." She takes the phone and scrolls through. "I'm sure this will bring back the smile on your face."
Onyiye gasps grabbing the phone out of her hands. "ow my God!" She stands up and begins to jump up and down. "I promise not to let you down, I promise on my grandmother's grave." The excitement is too much.
"I'll see you when I get back and please don't replace me cause if you do I'll kill the bitch. You are mine and mine alone."
"You sound like a psychopath right now."
"Aysuka, buy my baby his favourite. I know how much he loves Danone."
"You spoil this child too much. I'm beginning to think you gave birth to him." Onyiye.
"I pushed him out of my Virgina."
"Pleas don't remind me of that day. I don't see myself going back there."
"I will remind you these words one day. I'm not going to answer you now but there will be a day I will remind you on. Let me get going my love."

That love she shares with her friend is beyond magnificent.

She regrets ever thinking that death is the solution to her problems.
She was facing overwhelming sadness and despair, such that facing daily tasks that is it just making her life go in circles.
Having Lindiwe really bought that positivity that life goes on even when you down and nothing.

Her friendship helps her feel vibrant and energized. She feels the courage to pursue the things that make her deliriously happy. Self-judgment falls away.
A friend she has is one who overlooks her broken fence and admires the flowers in her garden.  Her good friend is like a four-leaf clover: hard to find and lucky to have. There is nothing she would not do for her and she is willing to keep her promise to her true friend.

She's standing under a tree near the road waiting for a taxi.
She just want to spoil herself and forget about everything she has been through the whole of yesterday. Today is another day, she woke up feeling better.
"My sister, I'm done. It has been submitted. Just wait for them to reply." She's at the internet cafe….
"Ow wow thank you." She's beyond happy.
"Good luck."
"Thank you," she needs it.
She steps out of the internet cafe, fixes her son's hat.
"Mama will but that pap and gravy she promised you, angithi babazi." She’s keeping her promise to her friend, spoiling her favourite niece. R300 is what she gave her…. She kisses his cheek and smiles looking at her sons teeth. She notices a man looking at them, more like taking pictures. He stops when he noticing Onyiye looking back at him - he got into a red Tazz and drove off.
Surely he was taking pictures of her son.