ONYIYE THAT GIRL

ONYIYE THAT GIRL
CHAPTER 51

LINDIWE  NGOBESE 

She thought that being home would probably make her forget things. How can she forget about anything when Mpilo is just right around the corner, like a pest? How can she move on when this stupid man is shoving himself right down her throat?
She has cooked and cleaned. Her parents were very happy to see her. The woman started crying tears of joy.
Lean into the emotion - they would say.
She admits, she really missed her.
This woman has taught her so much in life and she ended up being significant.
“You have taught me everything I know and stand for and have raised me to be strong and independent. But no matter what, I will always be your little girl.” That is what she told her mother when they shared all the pain she had been through. It did not sit well with her mother but hey – It is part of life. She had to go through a hardship in order for her to know how to deal with the pain.

She is walking around the area looking at all the houses with good and not so good roofs. It's in the evening and she just wanted to have that fresh breeze and look at her hometown. It's been long. She wishes Sizwe was here with her
- her hands wrapped around her arms. It is a bit chilly and possibly about to rain soon. The clouds say it all. Maybe she should go back home, she even forgot her phone.
“Lindiwe!” She gets startled and holds her chest.
She slowly turns around and gasps looking at her good-looking long-time ex. For some weird reason she finds herself rushing her legs towards him. She throws herself in his arms and inhales his cologne. He still smells the same, good to be precise. She breaks off the hug and he looks at her shocked.
“Smanga! Is this really you?”
“Yes, what happened to you?”
“It’s a long story and trust me you do not want to hear about it. You look handsome.” She caresses his cheek. For a minute she forgets about the deep dark hole she is in. He smiles and gently holds her hand. He kisses the back of it and pulls her again into a tight hug. All of a sudden, the winds, temperature and pressure, the rain poures heavily making her gasp in shock. She places her hands on her head preventing the rain from destroying her braids. Smanaga takes off his leather jacket and covers her head with it.
“Do you want to run?” he asks smiling.
“Like the old days?” she chucks shivering. He holds her hand and they begin to run in the run.
Running is a way for her sake to take her mind off of her problems and relax and kind of take herself out of her life for a bit. They take short, quick strides. They are somehow running with the rain, at a speed equal to its horizontal velocity. They both stop and laugh. She is where she told herself that she would never be back at. She is far from home and it is raining cats and dogs outside.
“Come, let's go in before you catch a cold.” he says, leading her to his outside bedroom. She stands beside the door shivering. He asks her to take off her clothes and his eyes drop to her bloated stomach.
“You pregnant?”
“Yea…” again it's something that she does not want to talk about. She wipes herself with his towel…
“I'm cold.”
“Ow shit! Yea, get in bed.” She is still naked with her hands hugging her body. She gets on top of the bed and covers herself with a big blanket.
“Can you make me tea?”
Smanga frowns looking at her.
“You and tea?” He is shocked. Lindiwe never striked as a girl who loves hot stuff. She’s all about sweet stuff.
“I'm just cold.” indeed she is.
He walks out without saying anything at all. She is left alone in his room. The pictures on the table make her stupefied. That is her picture of her and Smanga when they were still the it couple in high school. This guy once bashed her about her weight. Her eyes move along to another picture and it’s a picture of a baby girl. This could be his daughter. She caresses her belly and smiles. She cannot wait to hold her baby within the next few months.
Minutes later Smanga walks in carrying a tray with tea and some scones.
“The scones are wet!” she laughs.
“The only thing that matters to you are the scones?” She gets out of bed and wraps herself with a blanket. The tea smells horrible for some weird reasons. Beggers can't be choosers she is cold as hell.
She takes a few sips and it is just not doing any justice for her. She places the cup on top of the table and takes a scone. Sweet, her favorite of all time. No wonder she has toothaches.