ONYIYE THAT GIRL

ONYIYE THAT GIRL
CHAPTER 37

ONYIYE MAZIBUKO

"I killed him, I killed him." She whispers bitting her inner cheek. This cannot be happening! She can't go to jail. 
Sbahle pulls her up and makes her stand on her feet. She cups her tiny round face...
"Look at me, we will pull through. We will be together. No matter what happens never admit of killing him." She nods her head. She feels scared and stressed out, she's trying to find reasons as to why she did it. Immediately she becomes numb, and she begins to feel...well she cannot explain the feeling she is feeling.

Sbahle is pacing up and down with her phone pressed against her ear. She drops the line and blinks multiple times running out of words. She looks at Onyiye sitting in a corner with her head buried in-between her knees.
"I am going to jail.” She rocks herself back and forth. This is not what she expected. This is not how she imagined her life to turn out. 
Sbahle picks her up and gives her a hug. "I am here with you. We will pull through. We will die in this together.” 
Onyinye burst into tears out of fear. She shivers as warm liquid gushes down her legs. Her brain is coded for compassion, for guilt, for a kind of empathic pain that causes her inflicting harm to feel a degree of shame. Did she just murder someone? A slight knock on the window making Onyiye jump a bit holding on tight to her sister. Sbahle sighs letting go of her but she looks at her with those lost, hope eyes...
"It's Tazz and Khoza.” She tries assuring her but she does not have any of it.
"Don’t leave me alone, with him.” She pleads. Sbahle holds her hand and goes to open the window letting the guys in.
They do not bother asking as to they do know what has happened. 
"Where is the weapon?” Khoza asks to let go of Dumisani's hand. Sbahle points it out. It is there on the floor and the blood is almost drying out.
"I will take Onyiye to the bathroom.” Sbahle pulls her by hand and takes her to the bathroom for her to take a warm bath. Maybe it will flush away the picture of Dumisani's open skull. 

She helps the guys clean around the house wiping every trace of blood. 
"The blankets will need to be burnt and this sjambok buried.” Tazz suggestion.
“What about the body?”  
“We will drop that one outside the gate and behave as normal like nothing happened. I don’t know how will Onyiye cope.”
“I will take care of Onyiye, you guys take care of this whole thing.” Sbahle leaves the guys busy. She doesn’t even want to see how and where they will dump the body. She has seen too many documentaries and the cases she has dealt with previously and this is not the one to watch. She is done with that life and being a cop was a serious drain. 
She waits for her to finish bathing and helps her to wear warm pyjamas. She tucks her in in bed as stiff as she is and brushes her back waiting for her to fall asleep which she did after a very long time.
___________
Its morning and already his mother is running around calling every neighbour to see what has been dumped infront of her gate. Sbahle wakes up and looks at the sleeping Onyiye and immediately her heart breaks for her little sister. She puts her flips flops and wears her gown and steps out of Sthembiso’s house. 
She spots three women outside the gate with their hands on their waist. Sthembiso’s mother is not amongst them. The police have crowded the place taking pictures and already the house is a crime scene. 
She slowly turns to walk away but one of the police men stop her. 
“Excuse me miss.” Her heart skips a beat. She turns around and puts a brave face on. 
“Do you have any idea what happened to that young man?” She swallows hard but relaxes her muscles. 
“I don’t know – I've just woken up by the noise.”
“And it did not occur to you to come have a look?” 
“I don’t live here. I do not even know the people living in this compound phoyisa. I am just a visitor. If you have any questions, kindly do ask the mother of the house.” 
“Where is she? The mother of the house?” 
“This way, hope she doesn’t kill me for letting a stranger in.” She walks Infront of the cop with him scanning his around sharply. He notices a blood stain on Shahle’s gown and frowns, looking closely. The blood is still fresh.
“Are you hurt miss?” He asks making Sbahle to turn. Dumisani’s mother comes out with a bible in her hand and a whip on another hand. Sbahle pauses answering the cop and looks at the woman walking past them without saying a word. 
“That is the mother of the house.” Her heart is almost ready to jump out of her mouth. She pushes down her anxiousness...
“Please wait here, do not move.” He runs after the mother. She waits for the cop to run out of sight. She takes her gown off and indeed it is blood.
“Shit!” She curses and rushes to the kitchen. She needs to think of a plan fast. She opens the fridge and comes out holding a bottle of beetroot. “Perfect!” She opens the bottle and dips in her finger and rubs it on the small spot – on top of Dumisanis bloods. She seals the bottle and replaces it back into the Fridge. She walks out of the house to go stand in the same spot like she has been all along. The notices the cop coming back, she pulls herself together.
“Turn around.” He instructs. She around and let him caresses on the wet stain on her back. He rubs the tip of his fingers together and smells. 
“What were you doing so early with beetroot in the morning miss.” 
“I love beetroot juice. Maybe it spilled and I did not notice. She prays that Onyinye does not walk out of that door because all of this will be a –
The door cracks open, Sbhale exhales out loud. Basically, she has short herself in the foot!