ONYIYE THAT GIRL

ONYIYE THAT GIRL
CHAPTER 49

ONYIYE MAZIBUKO

Having a new born baby in the house is overwhelming and exhausting. To adjust to a new life. She is trying to accommodate him and somehow, she believes that it is just too much for her. She is looking at him sleeping peacefully in his arms. He looks so much Ngimu when his mother left him in her arms and never looked back. That woman is something else. She smiles…
“Is he asleep?”
Sthembiso has been of great help for the past couple of days. He leaves late for work and comes back home early.
“Yeah, he eats a lot.”
“Like who?” She asks.
“Like some black bimbo I know.”
She looks at him and – she has no come back for this. She looks at him and smiles. She will definably get him for this.
“Okay Sthembiso Jiyane.” She places the baby on the bed and covers him with his blanket.
She slowly stands, the pains are still there but the wound is slowly closing up. Sbahle comes from time to time to assist and she must say - he has been of great help throughout. Her parents hearing that she was shot, it was hell of a distraction. Her father wanted to turn the whole of Durban upside down but Sthembiso assured him that he had everything else under control. The house is clean which means Sbahle has left. She wants to make breakfast and surprisingly this stupid man is in the kitchen…
“What are you making?”
“Eggs with toasted bread.”
Who eats that kind of breakfast? She sighs looking at him…
“You can go sit. I'll come dish for you.”
She turns to leave him to continue burning the kitchen. She limps towards the dinning...

Breakfast is not as bad as she thought. It is very eatable. She looks at her happy kids smearing their faces with eggs. How does she manage to hold up a big household like this at her age? A part of her has a lot of questions. How and when did she become this mature at this age? Her agemates are out and about having time of their lives while she is here.
Spending time together as a family creates a sense of belonging. Children are less likely to go look for that feeling somewhere else if they can find it at home.
You never know when a family member could be taken away from you.
She believes that nobody is perfect. Everybody has flown in character. Her mother made many questionable choices as she was growing up, some of which put her in danger. She had a hard time forgiving that, and sometimes still feels really upset whenever she thinks about it. But she got through it and got over it. Maybe it's time she finally moved on and bury whatever hatchet she had with her mother.
“I think it's time I forgive that woman for hurting me. I think I am ready to walk past that stage and be free.”
Sthembiso stops chewing, he wipes his mouth with a napkin and gulps down his beer.
“As in forgive her?”
“Yes, I mean the past cannot be changed but can defiantly make the most of the future.”
“When are you going down?”
“This weekend.”
“I am proud of you mnyamana.” They continue eating over light conversations.

She is writing her assessments online and damn everything is just a hard rock.
Agriculture is very scientific and well, difficult. Entering this phase she thought that maybe – just maybe she will be aiming it like she did in high school. But guess what? Baby girl was wrong. She thinks it is now time she attend classes. Her mind will explode. She will have to talk to Sthembiso about this. No way, that she could have a monied baby daddy and she has to suffer in this manner.
Her phone beeps. Maybe this will exit her because damn!
“I think I'm falling for him.”
That is Sisipho. She laughs a bit shaking her head. She told her not to catch feelings but the girl does not listen. She dials her numbers and she picks up in the first ring…
“Please don’t judge me.”
“Ay, I am judging you. One task I tell you to do and already you have fallen for him.” She says laughing.
“You do not understand.”
“Then make me understand. Why are you catching feelings?”
“He gives me food, clothes and whatever I need. Is that normal?”
“You are not telling me the whole story.” She is beginning to be impatient. Why is this girl going around in circles?
“He is kind, amiable, and speaks without rudeness. He listens to my ranting and insecurities then later makes fun of them. He never judged me on my past. A man who is always there to fix my craving for a child that is not even his. The bed sessions are always the best. This guy is good and that is why I keep falling deeper for him. He is comparatively gentle with me. Yesterday he told his father that we are an item – at first, I did not believe him but when I asked him to confirm he assured me that yes, indeed we are a couple. He does not want to lie and say he loves me but he is into me because he likes me.”
“It sure sounds a lot like love to me. To provide for the needs of the beloved is a central concern to the one doing the loving. Hopefully a two-way street.”
“I don’t even know what the hell you just said.” She giggles.
“Do you love him?’
“I am falling for him deeply and it scares me.”
“Then go ahead and tell him how you feel. Talk to him and make him understand what your heart desires.”  Onyiye.
“Imagine me asking a grown ass man out, Yoh!” Sisipho exhales out loud.
“It is worth a try. Wena tell that man you are in love with him. Will see you this weekend.” Her eardrum is definitely damaged after that harmful scream.