ONYIYE THAT GIRL

ONYIYE THAT GIRL
CHAPTER 30

LINDIWE NGOBESE

Yesterday was her friends birthday and indeed they had their time of their lives. After the celebration Sizwe drove her down here so that she could get ready for the preparations that will be happening tomorrow morning.
Maybe they are going to fast but hey, wherever there is happiness there is love.
"Mntanami, are you sure this is what you want?" Her mother is concerned, who wouldn't be concerned when their only daughter is about to be married
She smiles blushing looking down.
"Yes mah, I'm sure." 
"If you are sure the and happy, then I'm happy too." They both fall into comfortable silence. "Does he know about the…" she clears her throat. 
Lindiwe sighs, "he knows, I told him." 
"And he was okay with that?" She asks. 
"Yes, we talked about it and he told me to do cleansing before we start having our own family."
Her mother nods understanding. 
"He is a good man." 
She smiles reaching out for her only daughters hand. 
"Tell me about Gift's birthday." 
Her face lights up in excitement. 
Telling her mother how she met up with Sthembiso planning all of that. The hard work that they put through, him being difficult in everything. Him disputing all the ideas that she came up with but all in the end it was the best. 
"She was way too emotional to enjoy. But then, it is understandable. She never really had a surprise birthday party let alone a gift from people close to her other than me." 
"I'm happy for her. Uvuke wazithatha untombo." 
"And she did. Everything was beautiful. I'm happy for her." 
"Your friendship is still tight?" 
"More than anything even after she accused me for snatching her man." They laugh. 
"I would have done worse trust me. But the mere fact is that she is happy with the people who love her and it is a blessing. To even think that Ntombi lied to everyone that she was raped. Kanti all along she was feeding us poison. Imagine feeling sorry for her all those years." She clap her hands once and shakes her head in disbelief.
"You should see her father. It's like you looking at the same person." 
"I think you are exaggerating." She laughs. 
She takes out her phone and scrolls through her gallery and shows her mother the pictures of her birthday. 
"Wow, what a small world." Indeed is.

Later on, they were pealing off vegetables preparing for tomorrow. She's laughing enjoying the stores of the runway brides. She will definitely never leave Sizwe at the alter. She will never stoop that low.
"I will never leave my husband hanging without any explanation." She laughs.
"The girl I know runway - her husband was abusive and she couldn't take the abuse any longer." Her aunt says.
"Now that's what I will run away for. No woman can stand abuse." She replies. They continue arguing about the topic until her phone rang. She excused herself…
"Babe," she's in her room laying in her back with her legs crossed. 
"I'm sick." 
"What's wrong?" She sits up straight with her heart pounding. Yesterday this girl was good and now… 
"I have jet neg." She says. 
"A what?" She's confused!
"Sickness from jet neg." She frowns and suddenly her mind clicks. 
"Girl!" She laughs out loud almost peeing on herself.
"Onyi I swear you are going to be the death of me. Isn't it called jet lag? As in L-A-G." 
"Kona lokoke. I feel like vomiting. My stomach has bubbles." 
"Friend please stop. Stops - you definitely killing me." Lindiwe cannot stop laughing.
"Whatever. How are the preparations going?" She asks. 
"For now all is good. I pray that nothing sinister happens tomorrow. I just have that odd feeling that something terrible is about to happen or is going to happen." 
"That is because you are telling yourself that. Let the day go smoothly without you and your negative silly thoughts."
"Maybe you are right. Maybe it's me who is just way too anxious about the whole thing." 
"Are you ready for marriage though?" 
"I think I am. I love Sizwe and he makes me happy. Being with him will do me happy." She says. 
"I wish I was there." She's sulking over the phone and it doesn't suit her. 
"You will be my matron of honour on my wedding day." 
"Now yoiu talking! Look, I have to go Sthembiso is complaining." 
"Phaka ikhekhe wena." 
"You crazy!" She disconnects the line and smiles thinking about her jet lag friend. As silly as she can be sometimes, but she loves her to bit.
Her heart beats abnormally making her hand to trail on to her chest.
That feel of your heart stroking once making it hard for one to breathe. She sighs taking a deep breath as her heart continues to beat hardly. 
Maybe she is having a heartburn.
____________
It's  morning and everything has been prepared. She couldn't sleep with all the thoughts clouding her mind. 
"Vuka ntombi." That is her aunt yanking the blankets off her body. She's awake already and she has been awake through out the night. 
"Auntie," she pulls the blankets up. It's now that sleep is taking over. 
"If you sleep now you will forever be asleep. They will snatch your man. You don’t sleep when you get married. Men do not like lazy women. Wake up." 
She wakes up jumping off the bed to stand up. 
"Okay, I'm up." 
"Go take a bath and come help us in the kitchen." ….
_____________
"They are here." Her mother says in excitement. Lindiwe drops everything and runs to her room to look at herself in the mirror. She looks perfect for this day and she wonders how will it go. She smiles briefly taking a deep breath. She cannot wait to see her beloved man or shall she say husband to be. She laughs to the sound of it. Imagine her being Mrs Sizwe Dazela! She fixes her scarf and pulls her sishwehwe dress down a little and smiles to herself. 
"I can do this." That is the enthusiasm in her voice. The spirit is there and high!
__________
Everything went smoothly and everyone was and still is excited. Simple, short and no dramatic. She's been smiles like..., not believing that the day is finally here. Is she happy - definitely she is. Who wouldn't be happy when there is a man out there who sees a worth in a woman like her?