ONYIYE THAT GIRL

ONYIYE THAT GIRL
CHAPTER 56

ONYIYE MAZIBUKO

Five years later and still going strong. 
Life tests us all at every point of our lives. So being brave and strong while facing the challenges is the best you can do. Realizing your self worth and pushing yourself to reach your dreams is what makes you proud and be successful.
She has come too far…
"Are you ready for the big day?" Mam Philisiwe asks fastening her dress. Today marks exactly five years without Sthembiso in her life. She has never looked at any other man – well except for that one man that she tried with but did not last even a second. Her kids have grown and it saddens her that he is not here to witness this. She long accepted that he doesn't want to be seen by her but atleast he was man enough to call her now and again. He would gossip about his inmates, tell her about prison dramas, which she finds fascinating…
"Yes mah, I'm ready."
She looks at herself one last time and takes a deep breath.
'Be a sunflower.. Stand tall and find the light'. Sthembiso told her when she once reached that breaking point. She will definitely not enjoy this day with her man present. The annoying man of them all. He was not there at her welcoming ceremony. How she paraded in her village greeting her brothers and sisters. That is how people from Abuja refer to one another. She visits Nigeria from time to time…
Her whole family is here, including her mother and Sthembiso's parents - but not her heart.

Nontombi is still in a wheelchair and was declared muscleness. Her lower body is not functioning and she has accepted it even though it breaks her. Their relationship - still not that tight but better than the other years. The first note was to accept that not all relationships can be repaired.
She believes that someday their relationship will be mended to its best.
"You look good."
Sisipho compliments Onyiye who is wearing a beige Asymmetric Hem One Shoulder Dress. Girl got married some years ago and she's pregnant with her second child. Tazz couldn't bare seeing the woman he claimed her loved being treated by a queen right before his naked eyes. It's a pity that his relationship with Thandeka didn't even last a year. Their foundation was based on lies. Tazz tried reaching out to Sisipho but she had fallen deeply with her boyfriend which is now her husband. That is why he moved to Joburg to start his life afresh without having that constant reminder of the happy Sisipho. The baby daddy is still very much useless. All he does is fight Gerald and claiming his daughter whom he doesn't even bother to do anything for her or even get to call and check up on her. Typical of him!
She says she doesn't see herself getting pregnant anytime soon.
"Thank you. I'm just scared." Indeed she is.
After failing couple of assessments she decided to attend full time classes. Learning online with kids on the side was hard for her. Family is there yes but they were not always there. 
The nanny is the best but still she had something missing. 
"You will be fine." 
They both fall iito comfortable silence. 
"Do you miss him?" She wishes Sisipho didn't touch base on that topic. She misses him everyday and it hurts. 
"Every second." 
"Why not move on?" She asks looking out for her baby sister.
"I tried but Sthembiso is the one I want and need. I will wait even if it takes ten years." 
"I get you. Do what your heart desires an I will support you." They hug. 
Nontombi let's herself and smiles emotionally looking at her daughter. 
"If someone told me you would make me this proud one day I would have been a better parent." 
"Don't start mah." 
The name-calling has upgraded. From Maka Sisipho to mah!
She takes a deep breath…
"Both of you have made me proud in different ways. I am the talk of town and the neighbours envy me. I may be crippled but my hands work like magic. Can we pray?" 
The all close their eyes…
"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace. Amen."
"Amen."
"I don't believe this woman. She just prayed with a script from the Bible."
Onyiye makes a joke out of her. They all laugh.
"I'm sure MaMdluli took all of my prayers before I could even pray. Phela that woman likes everything I have."
"If we don't go now - we will never hear the ending of these neighbours of her." Sisipho says wheeling her mother out.
"I will follow you shortly."
She takes her clutch bag on top of the bed, looks at herself in the mirror and follow them shortly. Their graduation ceremony is being held in their school premises. The hall is big enough to accommodate everyone.