ONYIYE THAT GIRL

ONYIYE THAT GIRL
CHAPTER 27

ONYIYE'S HOME

She's cleaning her mother's room. She's in high spirits today better than the other days. What’s the use of mopping around your sorrows of you failed life? Not that she is a failure – but it is what it is. She woke feeling good, like she got all this morning. 
She's doing spring cleaning, something she never does. She comes across an album that she has never seen before. She sits on her mother's bed and dusts it off. 
She's looking at her pictures and Onyiye's. There's a tall dark man who look just Onyiye. Could this be? But no it can't be. Her mother was raped - what could she possibly doing with a rapist picture? It doesn't make sense at all. 
She continues to scroll through the album and shakes her head. Most people are people she doesn't know in this album. But one picture had here want to ask her mother some questions. She closes the album and continues to clean until her mother's room was cleaned. 
She steps out with the album tucked underneath her arm and sits next to her mother. 
"Look what I found while cleaning." She says opening the album.
"Where do you get that?" 
Her mother asks trying to snatch the album out of her hands. She's weak, her hand fell before it could even be lifted.
"In your room. Who's this man?" 
Sisipho asks. Her mother closes her eyes exhaling loudly. 
"No one important." She responds.
"It can't be someone not important when you have this picture in here. Is he my father or Onyiye's father? Come to think of it I don't have any pictures of my father or any family member." 
"I said give me that album." She hisses in anger. 
"Why?" 
Her mother sighs again trying to catch her breath. "Your father passed away when you were still young. I don't know where his family members are. He has never introduced me." She lies through her teeth.
"Can you tell me how you two met. How was he like?" She's exited. Who wouldn't be exited to hear their parents love story. 
"I…I'm tired can I sleep?" 
She let's her be. She stands up and walks to her mother's room to pack the rest of the stuff that was in that box. 
She comes across a brown envelope. She wants to pen it so badly but she stops herself before she can even open. It’s rude to open people’s things without their consent. They did it to Onyiye because she was a nobody and still is.
She cannot open something that doesn't belong to her. She packs the envelope back in its box and closes her eyes resisting temptation.
She's cooking chicken curry. She hates the smell of it and she regrets even buying it from the shops. She closes the pot and runs outside to clear her throat. 
"Ow God." She feels dizzy. She rinses her mouth and goes back into the house, the smell of chicken is everywhere. She'll just make herself a sandwich. She can't eat this.

She decides to watch of her favourite talk show. Her phone beeps. She reads through the text and cringes to herself. This man cannot do her like that. 
She wears her shoes and steps out of the house with her mother peacefully sleeping. 
"Shane, what brings you here?" She's leaning against the car with her hands crossed against her chest. Irritation is written all over her face. 
"Is that the way to greet your daddy?" He asks revealing his yellow teeth. "Get in the car I have a job for you." 
"I can't leave my sick mother." 
"How is that any of my business? I want you whenever I feel like having you. Now get in the fucken car before I get you in by force." 
"Shane I'm pregnant. I don't need stress in my life. You are way to rough with me and it hurts putting my baby in danger." 
She's not going to let this old fool do as he pleases with her. 
Shane looks at her for a bit and smiles. "Okay, I have something good for you." He hands her a gift bag. She gladly takes it with no smile on her face. "What's this?" 
She peeps through and sees a phone. Really? Just a mere phone? Just a mere fucken phone! She can't believe this.
"A phone Shane, like really? When you see me you see a thing that will buy a phone for? I'm I that worth?" 
"Trust me you are. Now get in the car. I don't have all day." 
She has not choice she needs the money for her to survive. She will bare that pain until her mother is fully healed. The pain of being told you are not worth it right in your face!