ONYIYE THAT GIRL

ONYIYE THAT GIRL
CHAPTER 43

SISIPHO MAZIBUKO

She's reading through an article. She's not a person who buys newspapers but something in her pushed her into buying it.
"Lucas Holdings."
It's a new company dealing with construction. They are indeed of stuff. She browse through the vacancies…
Maybe she can apply to be a cleaner. Well it's a start. Two three of hoping and praying that Tazz passes by. Looks like he is still with the love of his life, Thandeka. The audacity of that girl sending her pictures of them naked in bed.
She has to do something with her life. Food is almost running out and she doesn't have a cent on her. It's been long since she was even online on any social media. Story of her life being broke. How will she even look for a job? Since the opening is today, she will walk to town. Her stomach, is still not that bad  - people cannot notice that she is pregnant. But down the line she will show – sooner or later.
She's ready and done. Now she will walk all the way to town. She's afraid to asks Onyiye for money. She doesn't want to take her kindness for granted. She has been nothing but good to her.

She steps out of the house after saying a prayer with her mother. She's carrying her bottle of water, towel and an umbrella. She tucks her handbag underneath her arm and takes a deep breath taking the way.
The sun is blazing hot - atleast she has an umbrella protecting her.
Maybe hiking will do. She is tired of walking and she feels a bit of pressure down there.
Her phone rings, she places the umbrella in-between her shoulder. She digs in her bag…
"Halo," she answers without checking the caller. With the sunshine blazing, she’s unable to see the screen.
"Where are you? I can't hear you there's noise in the background." Why is screaming because she can hear her perfectly fine.
"I'm walking to town."
"Walking? Why?"
"I don't money for transport. Look we will talk later." She drops the line and continues to hike. Onyiye can shout some other time. Right now she needs this job.
A Toyota Van parks metres away and reverses towards her direction. She closes her umbrella and widely smiles. Atleast she will be getting a lift. Now, the problem will be when she goes back home.
"Miss, why are you hiking in such a dangerous place?" Asks a coloured man.
"When you're desperate, you don't see danger."
"Where are you going?"
"Town, there's a new business in town…"
"Let me guess, you are looking for a job?"
"Yes." She laughs a bit. "Times are tough Buti. I need a job, I'm pregnant and… Sorry I didn't mean to brag about my troubled life."
"It's okay, get in. I think I know where you are going."
Without wasting anymore time, she hops in the front seat. She wipes her feet with the towel she had and leans back taking a deep breath.
"Thank you." The man doesn't respond. Rather he smiles and nods his head.

He drives through the buildings and parks infront of the huge construction company.
"Wow," she exclaims stepping out. She stands beside the car with the door wide open. "I hope they take me." She adds.
"What qualifications do you have?" He asks.
"Matric. If I had the power I would have studied further. Thank you for the lift sir."
"Sir is a bit extreme don't you think."
They both laugh.
"I don't know your name."
"Woman, you should have asked me the time you entered my car!." He says stepping out of the car also. She closes the door laughing.
"Okay sir, what is your name?"
"Too late woman. Good luck on your job hunting." He winks at her and walks towards the entrance leaving her behind. With her aching feet she follows shortly.
She enters and find other candidates standing I  a queue.
"Halo, are you last in line?"
"Yes,"
Sisipho nods her head and stands behind the girl.
Her stomach is grumbling - it's like there is a hole in her stomach.
She takes out her lunch box - white bread with Rama spread on it. It's just only crusts...
She chews one after another trying to hide her shame. She takes out the bottle of water and gulps it down without stopping.
Atleast there is something in her stomach. She turns to look to the left and finds the man looking at her. She smiles embarrassed... Obviously he saw!