twenty-two ; for lovers who hesitate.

☆★

"ahn seola, nice!"

nowadays, the gymnasium is well-used by the volleyball teams practicing once school ends. the screeching of shoes against the shiny waxed floors, loud dribbling of balls against the floor, the echoes of the impact of the players hitting and receiving were heard during the entirety of the afternoon.

sunghoon shook a boy's shoulder repeatedly with excitement blistering in his eyes, "did you see her?! did you see her serve?! that's my girl!" his pure overjoy was the pure death of kim sunoo, who was experiencing a simulation of an earthquake just by his friend's overly hyper shaking.

"we've been watching her serve at least five times in the course of thirty minutes, can we please go?"

"i think it's break time," sunghoon hushed him, seeing the players playing in the court, seola included, dispersing out of the center and going to the side. the girl unaware of their presence with the both of them being in the highest level of the bleachers, drank from her water bottle on the side. her shoulder length hair was tied in a frenzied ponytail from all the playing.

"aren't you going to greet your-" sunoo air quotted-"girl?" the cherry on the top was his massive eye roll.

"i don't want to disturb her-"

"oi, ahn seola! park sunghoon wants to talk to you!" sunoo's yelling voice was always loud, yet today it was louder than usual. his voice rang and bounced against the walls, echoing in the whole gymnasium. sunghoon shot him a betrayed look one could ever see, his eyes fully wide.

the girl levels below them elevated her head upwards, finding the owner of the voice within a split second. the confused look on her face fully vanished and was replaced with beam upon meeting sunghoon's eyes.

likewise, the glare sunghoon was sending to sunoo vanished out of thin air when he saw seola waving her hand at them.

"fake ass bitch," sunoo scoffed, eyeing sunghoon up and down as he waved excitedly like a child with an idiotic grin like he wasn't just threatening him with dagger eyes a moment ago.

"shut up and look at her. isn't she the prettiest angel?"

suddenly, seola snatched her backpack from the bench where she was and started scavenging its insides. sunghoon's eyebrows creased, "what is she doing?" he asked.

"as if i know," the auditor sassed. ever since the two idiots-preferably, one idiot and seola, in respect to the woman's name-he had been enduring the pain of watching the clearly inexperienced friend helplessly fall in love.

a second later she was holding up her cellphone and placed it right next to her ear. the two boys above, who were focusing hard on what the hell she was up to, got startled when sunghoon's phone started ringing.

"she's calling."

"answer it!" sunoo encouraged, not getting why sunghoon was only staring at the caller's ID while seola was continuously calling his phone below them.

a look of terror was gained from sunghoon, "....what do i say?" his voice trailed off in the end. thankfully, his ringing tone was set in a lower volume enough for only the two of them to hear and not obnoxious enough for the entire gymnasium to painfully hear.

"just answer!" sunoo exclaimed, eyes boggling. "jesus. are the two of you really dating? this is a whole circus at this point."

sunghoon ignored his last comment and slid his finger leaning to the accept option of his screen. he placed his phone on his ear after clearing his throat, "hello?"