last chapter ; 'us' then, now, and onwards.

☆ — SUNGHOON.

a year ago, i stood on this same stage with the same fluttering feeling in my heart as i felt the stares of hundreds—no, close to a thousand—students and faculty staring at me with both pride, boredom, and responsibility.

my hands trembled behind my back. i fidgeted a lot in my position. looking back at it now, i must have really looked anxious at that time. in my defense, delivering a speech as soon as i found out i won the treasurer position was a rollercoaster of emotion.

a moment ago, kim sunoo was shouting that we won together. a moment ago heeseung and hana patted my back as a congratulatory gesture. 

and now, i was on stage. about to say thank you with a non-existent speech about my plans as the new treasurer that i obviously did not prepare.

next to me at that time was ahn seola.

she stood still, her eyes were exceptionally blank. her hands were behaved and still on her sides. i would mistake her for a statue if she did not just blink.

when her name was called forward, she obliged and did indeed walk without hesitation. i barely remembered what i thought then, except for nearly collapsing after realizing i was the next to speak after her turn.

i barely understood her speech with all the negative thoughts etched within my brain.

she stood in front of me, back faced against me. the washed purple highlights on the end of her hair evident with the pearl white lighting of the spotlight.

"i am ahn seola. your elected secretary for this school year."

she was incredibly cool that day.

★ — SEOLA.

a year ago, i saw how park sunghoon was on the verge of mentally breaking down beside me as we stood on this very stage.

i took a curious glance behind him and saw how his hands were twitching behind. 

he could not also stand still. i could not even focus on heeseung's speech as he was continuously moving around in limited, constant steps per heartbeat.

i was called to deliver a speech and i did, ending it with a small smile and a thank you before returning to where i was standing a while ago.

i glance at him. he was much more fidgety as i returned. he was closing his eyes, muttering words that i could not get.

"you will do well."

i whispered.

it's quite a pity that at the same time i said those words, the mic loudly said his name, drowning down my voice from reaching him.

"uh.. hi! i'm sunghoon!"

i smile. he did incredibly well that day.

☆★ — SUNGHOON & SEOLA.

a year ago, they stood side by side as newly elected secretary and treasurer. one was as calm as the wind, and the other was as disastrous as a thunderstorm.

a year later, they stand side by side once more. although their roles became reversed.

"sunghoon. i don't think i can do this. i think i want to die."

"come on, you can do this, seola. just as we practiced."

"we practiced nothing!"

"do you want to hold my hand?"

"yes please. i really need my emotional support. Jesus Christ, why did i even agree to run as vice? i told you i shouldn't have ran—"

"my love, you'll do great. all of us will."

the audience whistled and cheered when the two individuals on top of the stage started boldly holding hands.

the girl bewilderedly stared at their joined hands that were boldly showcased for everyone down the stage to see.

"good lord. give me patience," now the secretary elect, kim sunoo, and now a pink haired boy beside sunghoon mumbled, shaking his head disappointedly.

"if you focus only on me, you'll do fine," he whispered in her ear.

a single name was soon called, but two people walked forward as one.

she glared at her other pair, who was still holding her hand dearly. she leaned in to whisper at his ear, causing a stir of reactions from the watchers.

"if we break up, this will seriously haunt the two of us."

"i'm never breaking up with you, seola. don't be ridiculous."

the glare on her eyes softened as she jokingly rolled them instead. she leaned in forward to speak on the mic, her hand left to be intertwined with the boy behind her. the grip on her hand tightened as she exhaled.

"good morning. i am ahn seola, and i will be your student council vice president for this year."

they exchanged positions after her, thankfully, well-putted speech was over.

"i am park sunghoon. the president of this year's student council."