22. Weakness

Episode: 3x14
Song: 21 Guns by Green Day

As we waited for Dean to return, I took a nap on the bed while Sam did some more research. Just then I heard the door open and I opened my eyes to see Dean walking in, shutting the door behind him.

"Find anything?" He asked, walking up to Sam.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes, looking over at the two men.

"After three hours, I have found no reason why anything supernatural would be going on here." Sam groaned.

"Woe, you'd think a Stanford education and a high school hookup rate of 0.0 would produce better results than than." Dean joked.

"Hilarious." Sam sarcastically replied.

"Sam, you're just looking in the wrong places, pal."

"Oh, yeah. Where are these places you speak of?" I joined, dramatically throwing my head up high.

"The motel pamphlet rack. Mila, Ohio. Birthplace of Thomas Edison" Dean passed the pamphlet to him.

"Yeah, right. So what?" Sam looked down at the paper.

"Keep reading." Dean said grumpily, causing Sam to scoff.

"You're kidding." Sam smiled looking up at Dean.

"What? Let me read." I stood up, Sam tossing the paper to me.

"Holy shit." I smiled excitedly.

***
We were now in a museum tour. While Dean and Sam didn't really care about anything except one thing, I giddily listened to the tour guide intently. I loved museums.

"Jeez, Venus. Will you lighten up a little." Dean joked putting an arm around me.

I playfully punched his shoulder, and he returned it with a kiss on the cheek. Finally we got to the room we were here for.

"Here we have one of the museum's most unique and treasured possessions: Thomas Edison's 'spirit phone'." the tour guide said putting up weird quotes with her fingers.

The crowd and three of us all gathered around it. We were paying very much attention than the rest of them.

"Did you know that Mr. Edison, while being ones of America's most beloved inventors, was also a devout 'occultist'? Ooh." once again with the finger quotes.

"What's with the quote-y fingers?" Dean whispered to us kind of disturbed.

"He spend years working on this, his final invention, which he was convinced could be used to 'communicate' with the 'dead'. Pretty spooky, huh?"

Ok, I'm getting real sick of the fingers.

The tour guide then lead everyone out of the room to go see something else. We stayed behind though to investigate the phone. I discreetly pulled out an EMF detector and held it close to the phone.

"You got anything?" Sam asked.

"Nope." I put the detector back in my pocket.

"What do you think?" Dean asked eyeing it.

"Honestly, it kind of looks like an old pile of junk to me." Sam replied.

"It's not even plugged in." Dean took note.

"Maybe it didn't work like that." Sam wondered as he looked around for anyone around us.

"Okay. Maybe it's like a radio tower, you know? Broadcasting the dead all over town."

"Could be." I agreed.

"Well, the caller ID is 100 years old, right? Right around the time this thing was built."