23. Long Distance Relationship

Episode: 3x15
Song: Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses

I was packing my bags in our hotel room while Dean and Sam stood and watched.

"I know it's crappy timing, but... I have to do this guys." I stood with my back turned to them, looking down at my open bag.

"We understand, Ven." Sam said.

I turned around to look at them. Sam was wearing a kind expression, while Dean looked worried.

The adoptive father of my daughter, Chris, had called me yesterday. Annabelle was playing hide n' seek, and when she hid in her fathers closet, she found the adoption forms; and of course now that she's in grade 1 she's learning how to read. So he explained to her what adoption meant, and who I was. He read the letter that I wrote for her that she was supposed to see when she was 18, or at least over the age of 12. And now, she wants to meet me. It was a huge shock. I mean, I'm not necessarily mom material; mentally, and career wise. But I agreed to it.

"I'm only gonna be there for a few days, and then you guy's can come and pick me up. There's nothing to worry about." I said as I approached Dean, holding his face in my hands.

"You and I both know that's not true." He gave a weak smile.

"Yeah. I'm just in denial." I laughed, pecking him on the lips.

I zipped up my bag, and slugged it over my shoulder. I faced the boys and memorized them in my head. I was terrified to leave them. Not for my safety, but for theirs.

"Okay, well. Um, Dean I put your favourite gun in the console of the car. Sam, I also folded and ironed your suit, it's under the bed. There's cash hidden under the back seat. And-"

"Okay mom." Dean grinned.

"Oh, shut up." I rolled my eyes. "Listen. Please, if you have any kind of emergency, call me." I said with worry in my voice.

"We will." Sam smiled.

I went to give Sam a hug, his huge arms wrapped around my entire body and he picked me up in a bear hug. We both laughed as he set me down. Then Dean and I walked out the room and to my rental car. I stood beside the drivers side door as we looked into each others eyes.

"I'll miss you." I told him.

"Me too." He caressed my cheek.

I pulled him into a hug and rested my cheek against his chest, while he rested his chin on the top of my head. Then we shared a passionate kiss before letting go.

"You call if you have an emergency." He chuckled as I sat in the car.

"Ha ha." I mocked.

As I started up the car, I blew him one last kiss before driving away. I watched him, watch me, in the rearview mirror, and my heart ached with worry, and anxiety. But then I reminded myself why I was leaving, and suddenly I felt happiness, along with a little more anxiety.

***
I pulled onto the side of the road and stared at the house. My heart beat quickened as I started to become anxious.

I hope she at least likes me...

I got out of the car and made it to the front door. Took in a few deep breaths, and knocked. With in half a minute the door opened, and there was Chris with a huge grin on his face. He had messy brown hair, and a little bit of a dad bod, but overall he looked like someone you could trust to hold your drink.

"Venessa! I'm so glad you came. Haven't seen you since our little one was brought to us." He hugged me.

I wasn't expecting a hug at all, so it took me a few seconds to return it.