27. Deaths Door

Song: The Night We Met by Lord Huron
Episode: S11 x 20 - S12 x 02

It had been 8 years since Dean died. 8 years and I still mourned him in my dreams. My daughter was a hormonal teenager now. Going through a rebellious phase with her father and step mom, but luckily I was the only one who could talk some sense into her. I was getting about 5 calls a week from both Chris and Annabelle. Chris calling me asking how to deal with her, and Annabelle calling me to rant. It was funny how simple the arguments were from a 3rd perspective. I've made many hunter friends these past 8 years. A few of my closest friends was a man named Garth, and a cop named Jody and her 2 daughters Claire and Annie, sometimes I would go over for dinner or on a hunt with them. One time, Claire said she had reminded me of another hunter named Dean, and my heart dropped the second she said that name. She noticed the shock in my face and asked what was wrong.

"S-sorry. I just uh... I had a boyfriend named Dean years ago. But he's... he's dead."

"Oh. I'm sorry. Didn't mean to bring up old memories." She apologized putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Ah, it's okay. It was a long time ago now."

I tried to stop myself from thinking about him, but the feelings were brought back as if fresh for the next week. 

There was also some painful visits from the King of hell himself, Crowly. It always troubled me when he would talk to me as if he already knew me. What the King of Hell wanted with me, I had no clue. But sometimes having him as a contact came in handy when things were dire. Like the time there were biblical plagues and monster set loose on Earth, Leviathans, and when the angels fell from Earth. 

When the angels fell, I ran into alot of them, and most of them were trying to kill me. The depiction of angels I had in my head was long gone after I had somehow escaped my 10th attack. It seemed like they had some personal vendetta against me.

What the hell do they want with me?! I didn't make them fall!

I had heard rumours from a few other hunters that the cause for the fall was due to one of our own. Who though, they could never remember the names, but most of them were pissed at them. I tried to not get myself involved with angel and demon politics, tried to stick with the normal hunting of ghosts, and monsters. But it seemed like everywhere I went there was some demon infestation or angel waiting for me around the corner. Finally Crowly had given me an angel blade, the only weapon that could permanently kill an angel. I asked him what the catch was, and he said it was an investment. Before I could ask more, he disappeared in the blink of an eye. It had been about 2 and half years since he gave me the knife, and I've kept it strapped to my leg ever since.

Right now I was in a small town. Taking a breather from the weekend I had of killing vampires and a shape shifter. There was alot of activity going around involving cops, but I wanted to keep myself out of it for the moment. I was on my computer, aimlessly scrolling on amazon, when suddenly I heard the roar of an engine. An all too familiar roar and it sent me into a state of shock. It sounded almost exactly like the impala. 

"Sam." I whispered to myself. 

I sat frozen in my chair. I heard the roar getting farther away and at the last possible moment I bolted up and to the window. But by the time I go to it, the roaring was off in the distance and there were no cars in sight. I sat back down in my chair, rubbing my hand down my face. Not knowing what to do or think. It wasn't entirely impossible to think that Sam and I could potentially be in the same town, but it would also have to be a huge coincidence. I could feel the depressive thoughts entangling my mind, and before I let them take hold, I decided to take a nap to sleep them off. 

I woke up to the sounds of screaming. Screaming from everywhere all around me. All around my room, there was a fog. I shot up grabbing the angel knife from beneath my pillow. I sprinted towards the door of my room, but I was suddenly hit with pain all over my body. I started coughing from the fog, but I felt something snaking within my hands and arms. I looked down to them, black tendrils were forming on them and I gasped.