28. That Unbearable Love

Song: Flightless Bird, American Mouth by Iron & Wine
Episode: 12 x 2

Venus POV

There was a long silence. We just stared at each other, Deans mouth hung open a bit. Sams eyes flicked back between Dean and I, not knowing what to say. The woman with long blonde hair sat at the table confused, searching for meaning in the long stare we held.

***

When Sam had opened the door to me, he had gasped in shock.

"Hey Sammy.." Was all I could think of to say.

"... V-venus?" He replied in complete shock.

"Long time no see, hey?" I awkwardly smiled at him.

"Y-yeah." It seemed like he was trying to determine if I was real or not, in truth, I was doing the same.

Then suddenly, in a swooping motion, he pulled me into a bear hug. Without hesitation, I too wrapped my arms around him. His hand rested on the back of my head, and he gripped onto my back as if not wanting to let go. We stood there like that for a few long seconds, before separating.

"Uh.. h-how did you find the bunker?" He asked, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Jody." I simply replied.

He chucked. "You know her too?"

"Practically family." I smiled.

"I'm...." his eyes flickered from the ground, up to the ceiling, then back to me. "I'm sorry, Venus. If.. if you dont mind me calling you that."

"Of course you can still call me that. And it's alright. I understand why you left... sort of. I came to terms with it eventually. No hard feelings." I smiled, patting the side of his shoulder. 

"Okay. Good. Uh, I mean thank you."

I chuckled. He was still the same awkward boy I knew 8 years ago. Although his hair was definitely longer now, and it seemed his body fit his height now. And he definitely wasn't as boyish now. I swallowed, feeling a pain of sadness as I realised how much he had changed since I last saw him. I could see the hardship he had endured over the past years in his eyes.

"So I uh, saw you in Hope Springs. Right after that fog disappeared. I also saw.... um...." I swallowed, still finding it hard to even say it out loud. "I saw Dean." I cleared my throat, looking down to the floor.

There was a silence. He didn't know what to say.  Then he sighed.

"Yeah." His lips pressed together.

"How long?" I needed to hear it from Sam. Needed him to admit it.

He blinked at me, trying to figure out if he should lie or not I thought.

He swallowed. "A year after."

I closed my eyes, inhaled deeply, and nodded about 5 times. 7 years. For 7 years they held this secret from me. 

"Venus I.... I'm so sorry I..... I don't know what to say."

I didn't know what to say either. A part of me felt betrayed.

"I need to see him." I said in a gentle yet commanding voice, looking up to him now.

"Yeah o-of course. Uh, follow me." He stumbled a bit turning around and began walking down the semi dark hallway.

I followed him down a series of hallways, then down a staircase hidden deep in the warehouse. A big metal door stood infront of us.

"He's right in here."