A Night's End

Darth Nox had been many things in his life. Slave, Sith Lord, Member of the Dark Council, Sith God of Lightning (at least, according to the ones on Yavin 4), Eternal Emperor, Commander of the Eternal Alliance. But by far, the title that made him the most proud was father. With Vitiate defeated and a peace established between his Alliance, the Empire, and the Republic, Nox had time to settle down and enjoy the benefits of rulership. While the sheer amount of domestic issues he had to sign paperwork for was mind-melting, his time at home made it all worth it. His wife, Lana, had their first child the day after the treaty was signed, and the boy grew up in a peaceful galaxy that had only known war for the last two thousand years.

But then, Malgus had found them.

The seemingly undying Sith Lord had a personal grudge against Nox. It was Nox that had prevented his secession from the Empire, allowing Acina to implant the cybernetics that allowed her to control him. It was Nox who had prevented him from taking over the Empire himself. And now, Malgus would take everything Nox ever cared for.

Malgus had launched a full-scale assault on Odesson. The Alliance headquarters was already in ruins. Countless were dead. A blockade of Imperial ships prevented any form of retreat. Any that attempted to were shot down before they could even get a coordinate into their nav computers. A squadron of the Alliance's best pilots was sent out to at least take out the blockade's guns so that the civilians could leave. Malgus spared no one, not even the refugees.

Unsure of what he should do, Nox pulled his most trusted crew together to help him fly the Eternal Ruin, his Fury-class Interceptor. He asked his wife, Lana, and son to be on board so that he could get them all out at once. He brought Andronikos for the guns, the old pirate was the best shot he knew. For the engines, Vette, the best mechanic he knew. Torian gave his life so that the Twi'lek could live, so Nox would make sure that he brought her along. Of course, Nox himself would take over piloting duties, there was a reason the Empire's Navy's win rate dropped when he got put on ice.

The engines whirred to life, ready to take off. Nox yanked the controls back, causing the ship to rapidly rise into the air. They sped towards Malgus' blockade, fully ready to cripple it or die trying. Thanks to Nox's flying and Andronikos' shooting, they were able to take out nearly every gun in the blockade. Thanks to Vette's mechanical work, they were able to outrun nearly all the blaster fire that remained. Nox sent a signal to the remains of the headquarters, giving the all-clear for everyone to evacuate. They all had their designated evacuation locations, and for the Commander of the Alliance, that was Taris. But there would be more trouble awaiting the crew there.

Malgus hadn't sent all of his forces to Odesson. He somehow knew where the evacuation locations were, and was waiting above Taris to greet Nox personally. Nox gave the controls all that he had, but in the end they were too damaged from the battle over Odesson to defeat Malgus' capital ship. Now, all alarms on the ships were blaring red.

"If any of you wish to leave and live," Nox told the crew, "now's the time. I can't guarantee that we're all walking out of here alive. Escape pod's at the end of the hall."

"With all due respect, Commander," Vette began, "kriff that."

"Agreed. You got me off Tatooine. I'm not about to leave you in your time of dying." Andronikos piped up.

The Commander looked down, happy that he was around such great people, people he's proud to call not his subordinates, but his friends. "Alright. Let's make sure we actually land. Can't have a proper last stand unless we do," Nox said. "Oh, one last thing..." Nox used the force to open the escape pod door. He then pushed Lana and their son into the pod. Finally, he forced the door shut, and launched the pod. It pained him to see the look of betrayal on Lana's face, but he couldn't allow her to get herself and their son killed. This was purely to buy her time to escape. Nox looked at the centerpiece of the conference room's table, the helmet of Lord Kallig. Kallig had been Tulak Hord's right-hand-man, after the Deshade, of course. Ironically, that same Deshade had been Nox's first companion in the Sith Academy. It was Kallig who had warned Nox of his Master's betrayal, of what the artifacts of Tulak Hord were really for.

"Right, let's get her landed," Nox told the remaining crew, putting down the ancient helmet as he did so. "Can't have a proper last stand without ground to stand on."

"Yes kirffin' sir." both responded back.

When the ship landed in the massive jungles of the ruined planet, Andronikos and Vette were both checking their respective blasters to make sure that they were all in top shape. After all, they wouldn't want their last stand to fail due to faulty weapons. Nox, meanwhile, was busy with other things. He was attempting to tie his own essence to Kallig's helmet, as Kallig had done so many years ago. He had been taught how to do this by Kallig himself before he opted to allow himself to become one with the Force. After completing the ritual as taught by Kallig, Nox stood up, grabbing his lightsaber. He heard a knock at the door to the Eternal Ruin.

"Well then, we'd be rude to keep our guests waiting." Nox said to Vette and Adronikos. Both grabbed their blasters, ready for a fight. Nox, meanwhile, readied the lightning he was so famous for.