A Conversation, A Master's Research

(Y/N) walked out of the training area, the lightsaber training completed for the day. Obi-Wan had beaten Ahsoka handily, just as Anakin had him, though Ahsoka had barely managed the point. (Y/N) had been instructed to work more on Soresu, as he had been, but also to decide whether he truly wanted to use the Force as much as he claimed to while mid-combat. It was something to think about, but for now he had other matters to attend to. Namely, the fact that someone had put that note on his robe during breakfast.

(Y/N) began walking towards the balcony where he was instructed to go by the note, though it didn't take him long at all to arrive, thanks to no one really interrupting him on his way. (Y/N) opened the door leading to the balcony and saw someone who felt familiar, which was strange because (Y/N) had never seen that blonde head of hair in his life. The man stood somewhat taller than (Y/N), holding his arm across his chest if the lack of them at his side was anything to go by. He had a pair of lightsabers on his hips, remaining at his side since they were still in the Temple. The man turned around, acknowledging (Y/N)'s entrance. He looked to his right, dismissing someone in that direction. (Y/N) heard shuffling footsteps coming from that direction, indicating that whoever he was motioning to, a Padawan or fellow Knight most likely, had left.

"I apologize for the secrecy and subterfuge," the man stated. "I just wanted to check on you. You've been taking a lot of vacations recently. Better than letting your ship collect dust, I suppose." (Y/N) had no clue what the man was talking about. He had no ship, and he had been in the Temple since Obi-Wan selected him as his Padawan after the Trials. To rectify this confusion, (Y/N) asked what exactly the man meant.

"Do you not remember me?" the man asked. "It's me, Zarik." (Y/N) still wore a look of confusion across his face. "Asked you about your ship when you brought it to the Temple?"

"What are you talking about, Master Zarik?" (Y/N) asked, hoping for some kind of explanation. Before the Jedi could respond, however, (Y/N) felt a searing pain run through his head. He saw images flash through his mind. Himself, walking down the corridors of the Jedi Temple next to the very same Jedi in front of him, along with another green-skinned one. He felt... anger, irritation, and annoyance. A desire for them to leave him alone. The Jedi Master noticed the distress.

"You alright, man?" Zarik asked, seeing the Padawan ask him a question before doubling over in pain. His face was out of Zarik's sight, but if it wasn't, the Jedi would be able to see the boy's eyes flash orange before returning to grey. Suddenly, (Y/N)'s minds were filled with memories, though to him it felt like they were always there. He had found an old ship and used it to get back to Coruscant after getting lost on an excursion as a youngling, but was recently forced to sell it to avoid a potential conflict of interests.

"Sorry about that..." (Y/N) said, still holding his head out of soreness. "Had to sell it a while back. The Council thought it could cause a conflict of interest once I was assigned to a master."

"Right..." Zarik replied, not actually believing (Y/N). However, given the fact that he had just doubled over in pain, he decided to end the questions there. "Well, if there's anything I can do to help you, just let me know."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obi-Wan sat in the Jedi Archives, finding much greater success than the last time he was there. Unlike when he was searching for Kamino, he was finding several results from this query. The subject he was looking for this time is Master Pernicar, the creator of the holocron the Council had insisted upon the use of on his new Padawan. What he had found was as fascinating as it was disturbing in his mind.

Pernicar fought in the New Sith Wars around a thousand years ago, the conflict that ended in the Ruusan Reformation, the event that created the Republic as they knew it. During one of the battles, Pernicar was faced by his former Padawan who had fallen to the Dark Side, just as (Y/N) had. However, while (Y/N) seemed to mostly be in control of himself while they were on Mortis, Pernicar's Padawan had been laughing hysterically as he charged the ancient master. After the fallen Padawan had been cut down, Pernicar took his lightsaber and returned it to the Temple, asking a contemporary if the man's lightsaber had anything to do with his fall. He eventually penned an essay on how lightsaber crystals can influence the saber's user.

That wasn't the only work the Master had done. Pernicar also believed that a Jedi who fell to the Dark Side could in fact be redeemed by splitting their mind in half, assuming they were not too far gone. During the day, the half aligned with the Light would lead the body, entirely unaware of the events that caused the individual's fall in the first place. During the night, the Dark half would be reinstated and put through therapy by the Holocron itself. When the Dark half had been successfully redeemed, moving past whatever caused their fall, the two would be reunited, hopefully a better Jedi than before.

What concerned Obi-Wan the most was the fact that they had actually tested it once. The Jedi it was tested on never successfully reunited her two halves, going on to be plagued by visions and severe headaches during the day and an inability to sleep properly at night. Like (Y/N), she began unable to feel emotions, following every doctrine of the Jedi Code to the very letter, though perhaps not the spirit. The reason why Obi-Wan hesitated to say she followed the spirit of the code was due to the way that her tale ended. The holocron had the effect of making the person base their decisions during the day entirely on logic, but such decisions can be just as disastrous as those based in anger or fear. Her story acted both as hypothesis and proof for such a thesis. One day, she left for a lush planet in the mid-rim, Axolon, similar in biodiversity to what Kashyyk is now.

Axolon is one of the harshest desert planets in the Galaxy now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello there

Been a hot minute on this one, hasn't it? I apologize for that. Started hyperfixating on Magic: The Gathering, which is what resulted in the reboot of the MTG x RWBY book. It's up if anyone wants to read it. 7.5k words in the prologue since I didn't want to start a second chapter while not on Remnant.

As for this story, I know where this arc ends, but I'm debating with myself how to get there.  Hopefully the matter shall find itself resolved shortly.

See you again soon, hopefully.