Negotiating "Peace"

"So you're a Separatist now?" Ahsoka yelled at (Y/N) immediately after his initial explanation. "But they're all evil!"

"And yet here you stand," (Y/N) retorted, "inside one of their homes without so much as an errant gesture your way. Like it or not Ahsoka, no conflict is ever black and white, at least none that we ourselves live through. While the Separatist leadership has committed several crimes against sentient beings, the Republic has done so as well, yourself included. I've heard that you yourself used, shall we call it, 'enhanced interrogation techniques,' against a Viceroy of the Trade Federation? Not to mention your master repeatedly offering fake surrender. And come on, flamethrowers on Geonosian hives? Their children?!" Ahsoka was shocked at all the things (Y/N) was talking about. "I would sure hope that the Republic wins were I in your shoes. After all, it's not a war crime if you win."

"That was only done to prevent THEM from hurting the innocent!" Ahsoka exclaimed in response. At this, (Y/N) shook his head.

"Y'know, I'm not actually a Separatist. I'm only here to get as far from the Jedi as I could. And seeing what they are teaching you right now?" (Y/N) sighed, clearly disappointed. "I'm glad I did."

"Not to mention, Ahsoka," a voice interrupted, stepping forward to reveal Mina Bonterri, "would it surprise you that many here say the same thing about the Republic, and the Jedi? Lux's father was like that, once."

"Then maybe I could speak with him?" Ahsoka asked, wondering how one could think that.

"Oh, if only you could," Mina replied, somberly. "A year ago next week, he was setting up a base on Argannon, when the clones attacked. My husband fought bravely in self-defense, but was killed."

Ahsoka looked around at the tense atmosphere created by the conversation, before excusing herself, claiming that she was, "getting some air."

Once the tense atmosphere had faded, the two Senators sat down in Bonterri's living room, ready to discuss the terms of the potential peace. Padme was quick to voice her opinion on the war itself, and what all was going on.

"I can't help but sense Dooku's dirty hand in all this nonsense," she sighed, placing her theory on the table before the other two people present. Mina looked less than convinced.

"Come now, he's just the leader of the Senate, not the entire universe," she said, trying to reason with Padme. It was then that (Y/N) decided to pipe up.

"Actually, Senator, I'm with Ms. Amidala on this one," he stated. "While I admit my time on the battlefield was lacking, from what I overheard, Dooku himself was involved in many of these efforts."

"No, this is my fault," Padme said. "I forgot that you admire the man, Mina."

"While it is true that we never saw eye to eye on Dooku, remember that we are here about something we do agree on," Mina emphasized. "Putting an end to this war."

"Indeed. There is currently a critical motion on the floor of the Republic Senate about whether to increase funding for more clone troopers, an escalation of the war," Padme explained. "However, aside from those who stand to gain the most from its passing, its support is shaky."

"Funny, the Separatist Parliament finds itself in a similar dilemma," Mina chuckled, amused at the similarity of the two groups.

"I am confident that if you can convince the Separatists to extend an olive branch of peace, the Senate would at least be willing to open negotiations," Padme stated.

"I've always admired your spirit, Padme. Unfortunately, the best I can guarantee is that I'll put the motion forward."

"That's all I ask."

Mina began to stand, holding her drink in hand. She raised the glass, calling for a toast, saying, "To peace, then,"

"To hope," Padme responded.

"To you two finally shutting up," (Y/N) said, trying to lighten the mood a little. It didn't work, but they still all clinked their glasses in celebration. Outside, Ahsoka and Lux could be seen speaking peacefully.

A few days later, the Separatist Parliament was meeting, ready to discuss the potential for peace between themselves and the Republic. Mina had just finished giving an impassioned speech, practically begging her fellow Senators to give peace a chance. Thankfully it had worked, with the motion to extend peace negotiations passing. However, as soon as it was announced by Count Dooku that the Ayes had the vote, (Y/N) was suddenly hit with a feeling of cold dread.

Explosions, that was all he could see. Explosions, a blackout, people running, children crying, men in maintenance uniforms dying, a curtain of red taking the Senate floor. And as quickly as this feeling of dread overcame him...

It was over. That was no dream. That must have been a vision. He turned to Ahsoka on his right and pulled on her sleeve to get her attention.

"We need to get to Coruscant ASAP," he explained in a whisper. "I think there's a plot happening there to undercut this swell of peace."

"WHAT?" Ahsoka whisper-yelled. "What do you mean?"

"I think I just had a vision. Explosions, blackouts, it all happened so quickly." (Y/N) stated. "We can take my ship."

"'Your ship?' What do you mean 'your ship?'" Ahsoka asked.

"Did no one tell you? Sometimes artifacts like to take flight."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shorter, I know, but I wanted the return to Coruscant to start a chapter rather than the end of one. That should be coming soon-ish.

In other news, I am incredibly stressed because my college has been getting DDoS attacks almost every other day, and my profs don't understand that when the school website is down, I can't submit any assignments, so they still treat them all as late anyway. Fun.