The Lines We Walk

It had been about two months since (Y/N) landed on Raxus, and things were mostly going very well for him. He spent about a third of each rotation at the home of Mina Bonterri, assisting her with political matters. While the sheer quantity of numbers and system names frequently made him want to vomit, he understood that it needed to happen for the wheels of Parliament to turn.

The other third of each rotation not spent sleeping was usually spent training with Nox, which was going great. His Lightning was entirely under his control, and even starting to change color, something even Nox didn't expect. Now, it was a much darker purple, potentially even leaning into red when he's really angry. He had also learned more about the Force itself, mainly about the Dark Side. He had learned of Darth Marr and his apprentice, Darth Lachris.

The two shared similar fates to each other, both going to their deaths knowing it would happen. Lachris went to Balmorra knowing full well that she was fated to die to the Jedi's Barsen'thor. While she did try to change it, in the end she knew that she couldn't, accepting death when it came for her.

Darth Marr was a similar case. He went with Nox to confront the Sith Emperor, calling himself Valkorion, about what he had done to the planet of Ziost. The Emperor had consumed every last bit of life on the planet. Even the coldest generals of the Empire were horrified, as the vast majority of the casualties were Imperial. So, when Valkorion broke Darth Marr's handcuffs, he announced that he would never kneel before Valkorion again and charged the Emperor. However, the Emperor released Lightning at Marr, killing the man and nearly sending his body into the vacuum of space. However, unlike Lachris, Marr realized the truth about death. Turns out, the Jedi code was correct in its final line. Marr, having fully accepted his own death, was able to maintain his consciousness after death, assisting Nox with defeating Valkorion alongside Satele Shan.

However, his own death was something Nox could not accept, which is why he bound his spirit to Kallig's helmet. Speaking of which, it was time for (Y/N)'s next lesson about the powers of the Force, and it was a technique that Nox himself had learned on Dromund Kaas.

"Alright, Apprentice," Nox began. "Now, it is time for you to learn an ancient technique that I myself used to defeat Darth Thanaton, though I expect you to use it far more responsibly than I did."

Nox presented (Y/N) with a chalice, full of a strange purple liquid. (Y/N) simply looked at Nox, raising an eyebrow, asking about the contents without saying a word. At this, Nox sighed, hoping he wouldn't have to explain the contents.

"I'll be honest with you, (Y/N), this is poison," Nox admitted. "However, it should only knock you out for a little while. Assuming you pass this lesson, of course." (Y/N) hadn't failed a lesson in a while, so he was feeling very confident. So, he drank, ready to begin. Shortly after the brew hit his stomach, (Y/N) began to feel a choking feeling, like he couldn't breath. This continued until the boy fell unconscious, where Nox entered his dreams, taking on a more corporeal form.

"Good. Now we can begin. This lesson shall teach you Force Walk, an ability that will allow you to bind any spirit, so long as they are not true Force Ghosts," Nox explained. "To know this technique is to walk the line between life and death, and pull the strands that connect them."

It had been a number of hours of (Y/N) dreaming, and (Y/N) had quickly learned the technique. Nox had been impressed, as (Y/N) had taken about as long as he had, and Erghast had described Nox as a quick learner. Within the dream, (Y/N)'s eyes were glowing purple, with orbs of darkness on both hands, lightning flowing between them.

"Good, now there is only one way to test if you have truly learned how to Force Walk," Nox said. "Awake, and let this final test begin."

"Wait, final test? What do you- AH!" (Y/N) yelled as he felt like he was pulled into the air, before waking up. He held his head in slight pain, the extended sleep doing his already present headache no favors.

"By final test, I mean you are to bind me," Nox explained. "Succeed, and the helm of Kallig and my power will be yours. Fail, and you know exactly what that means."

Knew what it meant (Y/N) did, as the last time (Y/N) had failed, he was shocked into unconsciousness, resuscitated, then shocked again. (Y/N) suspected that if he failed here, it would be even worse.

Nox had one last comment before the test began, saying "And just know, I will not go quietly."

(Y/N) channeled the Force into his hands. His hands started sparking, clearly about to start shooting lightning. (Y/N) concentrated harder, focusing the lightning to instead go between his hands. The same spheres as were in the dream began to appear, and Nox's ghost began to ascend into the air, before fading away entirely, his essence being absorbed into (Y/N)'s body. When it was done, (Y/N) fell to his hands and knees, the surge of power unexpected.

"Well done, (Y/N). My power is now yours. The helm of Kallig is cleansed of Dark Side traces, and I do believe you have reached the next echelon of being a Sith," Nox stated. "I hereby pronounce you Lord Summanos Kallig, the new Master of Undeath."

(Y/N) was stunned, he hadn't been expecting this. He thought it would be years before making enough progress to gain a new title, as it had been when he was with the Jedi. But no, just months after his training had begun, he was already a Lord. Though now he wasn't sure what would be needed to become a Darth. Nox chimed in once again with an answer.

"That will depend entirely on you. That title is normally gained by either killing your Darth master, but seeing as I was a ghost until 10 minutes ago... well..."

"What's the other method, then?" (Y/N) asked.

"To become a master of either death, or some section of the Force itself," Nox explained. "I will say, you are nearly there when it comes to lightning. All you need to do now is prove that you have sufficient control over your lightning in the living tissue of multiple beings at once."

(Y/N) nodded in understanding, understanding what Nox was saying. As for when he would get that chance, he had no idea. He saw the clock out of the corner of his eyes, realizing just how long this lesson had taken. As it turned out, it had taken all of his training and sleep time, so it was about time for work again. Great.

So, (Y/N) grabbed a cloak from his bedroom, changed his clothes back into his uniform, and left for the Bonterri manor. He caught a taxi speeder, showing his government ID so the driver droid would charge the government accounts rather than his. When he arrived at the manor, Mina was nowhere to be found. In her place, there was a note that appeared to be from her. She was going to the docks to assist a Republic Senator and company to the manor to discuss peace, and asked (Y/N) to be ready to assist with luggage and the like once they arrived. While he was waiting for them to arrive, he went through Mrs. Bonterri's holomail to determine what else would need to be on her schedule besides this covert meeting.

"Let's see," (Y/N) sighed, looking through the inbox. "Trade agreements with Ord Mantell, an advisory concerning travel to and from Jabiim, a list of items on the docket for the next session..." This continued for a while until (Y/N) reached the end of the Bonterri inbox, marking the important things as he went. As he was finishing, he received an alert that a speeder was landing at the manor's landing pad. It must've been Mrs. Bonterri with her guests. (Y/N) rose from the chair he was working in, and made his way out to help with the luggage, where he was met with someone he was really hoping he wouldn't be seeing ever again. It was Ahsoka, accompanied by Padme Amidalla.

"Oh, grand," (Y/N) said to himself, under his breath.