After Dark

We weren't bothered again as we drove, the memo apparently having gone out across the entire county that some new guy had pulled over the one person in the county they were not supposed to above all else. We made the distance in less than an hour, now having driven a little slower than the first time but still faster than the LEOs would've liked us to. The path back to the cabin was well beaten by now and it had been rather dry, so it would have been relatively easy to get back to the cabin which was several miles off of the road.

The sun was setting over the mountains as we entered the four mile path out of the woods. "Everyone keep a lookout for anything I don't want to drive over, or into any animals." There was small murmur of affirmation that they'd do as I asked as I turned into the road, the thick canopy blocking out most light from the sun.

As we drove there was little event the only excitement being the bumpy dirt and rocks, and big hills we had to get some momentum to make it over before a sharp turn. Luckily Jason's love for putting more and more on the vehicle lead it to having several additional lights on the vehicle on all sides. The only movement being some of the occasional small animals or rodents running across the road or being noticed by Chara and Sans beside the vehicle. Some of them just watching us, no doubt curious of the new beings in their forest.

As we got just over halfway, tensions began raising as I could feel Chara become nervous as well as looking in the rearview mirror to see sans looking around a bit frantic but trying to keep his cool. As I looked down from the mirror I saw what seemed to be a dash of white disappear off to the side, immediately pointing it out. "Did anybody else see that? Something just ran out in front of us, I only saw it for a second but I swear it was there." I saw Chara look ahead of us as I felt my heart pounding in my chest as my anxiety continued to grow, not stopping yet slowing the truck down.

"No I didn't see anything, and it doesn't look like there is anything there now. Maybe our minds are just playing tricks on us out of boredom, let's get to the camp." I could tell Chara was feeling everything I was but trying to play it cooler than I was. I sat up in my seat gripping the wheel firmly with both hands as we drove. Every couple minutes I could see something out of the corner of my eye, something looking at me, or running behind a tree, to not be seen when I fully looked.

It was nearly twenty minutes of this till the lights mounted on the truck illuminated a small wooden cabin, there was a slight feeling of relief as we laid our eyes upon the site. As soon as I had put the truck in park we all began getting out which is when we noticed another vehicle in the small lot, this one being around the side of the cabin. As I got out I placed one hand on the weapon on my right side as I kept my head on a swivel while approaching the cabin. "Let's get inside." Just before I set my foot down on the steps to the cabin I closed one eye and spotted something peculiar, a soul inside of the cabin. Nobody had told us they'd be here for any amount of time. I began making hand signals for Sans to stay with me and for chara to watch our rear.

I was very nervous by this point but resisted letting it be known in my voice. "This is frisk Dreamurr, General of the inter universal guard. Any occupants make yourself visible, we know you're inside." I could see the particles of an orange soul of courage begin shifting as they moved through the cabin to the door to peer outside hopefully without being noticed. Of course I noticed, seeing eyes peering out at the three of us before slowly creaking the door open. A person emerged holding a pump action shotgun at a low ready.

It was a version of Helix, they were few and far between but they did occasionally make an appearance and generally never for good reason. She didn't wait for a response before asking a question. "What channel do we always use to communicate?" An odd question sure but one I knew of course, encrypted channel seventeen was always used.