Ruthless tactics

-Una's POV-

The walls were lowered leaving the seven soldiers of the preservation corps surrounding the dozens of Guardsmen. No words were needed to be said before the mission was clear, the sky turned red above us before all seven of us disappeared. It was the Guard's job to hunt down and defeat all seven of the corpsmen. The seven of us split off into teams of two, with the only person working on their own being Yull who would be setting traps for the guard. There were no rules on this battlefield, and every attack would be full power, as if a guardsman died they would be transported back to their starting position.

I of course stayed with Omay, reappearing a few miles to the north of where the guard was, being the brains of the team we stayed a distance from the actual fighting for now. The forest grew denser around us, using the natural environment to keep us from being detected until we wanted to be. "What're we up against here Una?" I could see what each of the guard was doing, already some of them were being killed by Yull's traps and Lares' explosive bombardments. Thanks to the fact it was all just an illusion we could continue fighting with no limitation for all eternity and never get tired.

"Chara and Frisk are the biggest threats, and they'll probably have a large group of their soldiers with them. I don't know what Asriel can do, he was able to put up a fight against one of the founder's cohorts though. The void four are all very skilled fighters as well, though for the most part their resolve isn't as strong as others. We will have to see if the addition of a child whether that'll effect the amount of will they have or not. The rest are mostly... well-" He interrupted me as I trailed off slightly, having been transmitting this information to our team as I spoke.

"Not up to standard." I nodded as he said this. "What's up with this old guy?" I knew he was talking about immediately after hearing this. It was ironic for him to say though, with the age disparity taken into account.

"That's the fallen angel, I can't speak to his specific proficiency but his defenses are impenetrable. If he has a barrier up don't waste time trying to destroy it." Once all the information about the enemies was given it was quiet for a long time, neither of us being exactly sure what the right thing to say was. 

Entire days having passed as we just watched the skirmishes take place, none of them lasting more than a few minutes and the corps never leaving any survivors. The only time it got close was when Chara and frisk tried to work as a team to attack Yull, but ultimately it was a well laid out ambush set up by Shay. It was a week before a guard was able to hit and corps members, that wasn't either Frisk of Chara. Seeing this I smiled, finally making some progress in this training, despite it being a week in the illusion it'd only been a few minutes in the real world. Of course only Omay and I were able to perceive this fact.

We finally spoke seeing them continue to fight despite being clearly heavily outmatched by our soldiers. Omay giving his first sign of emotion through the battle, before this it was in all honesty unclear whether the reanimation still allowed him to have any emotion. "This is something I've never seen before Una. They've spent days dying yet they still continue to fight. The army back home would have given up ten times by now." 

Of all the negative things that could be said about humans, their resiliency and determination was unquestionable. I knew there was more though, even if they didn't know it for themselves I knew who kept them fighting. "It's a new species, not better, not worse. They don't have the same durability, but much more heart. They will wander aimlessly for their entire lifetimes if not given a task, but once they have their goal they'll work themselves to death to meet that end. Given enough time for trial and error they'll adapt to their circumstances. If we're ever going to face the founder's posy, we need the weakest of our forces to be the strongest of their species." I looked over at him and he just shook his head, being able to read my mind better than I could.