ten

-------

The ride to Y/N's house is awkward to say the least. The radio plays faintly in the background and Rose's snores can be heard from the back seat. Scarlett sneaks glances of Y/N driving. Her ring-plastered hand on the gear shift, her left leg bent to her lap, and the slight tap of her fingers on the wheel.

----

Y/N's POV

"You know you could say something instead of staring like a weirdo."

Great way to start the conversation Y/N. I mentally slap myself in the face.

"Thanks for letting Rose and I stay with you. I just...it's been really difficult for us recently. Probably more me than her. She's only three so she doesn't understand."

I nod my head in response and continue driving to my house. After a few more minutes of silence, we arrive to the house. A wave of regret washes over me as I question my generosity. We hop out of the truck and Scarlett gets Rose from the back seat. I grab the bags from the back and bring everything inside with Scarlett close behind me. Once we get inside and I set everything down, Scarlett wakes Rose up for dinner.

"Rose. Time to wake up, there's a surprise for you baby."

Rose stretches her body out and rubs her tiny blue eyes. She turns to look at her mom and then sees me standing in the kitchen unpacking our dinner. Her eyes go wide and she sprints from the couch to the kitchen.

"Y/N! Y/N! I misses you!"

I laugh as she dances around me, then pick her up to give her a hug.

"I missed you too sunshine. How's that arm?"

She lifts up her arm and shows the brace on it.

"Momma wouldn't let me ask you to sign it. She said you're not her friend."

My jaw drops as I look to Rose and then over to Scarlett who is on her phone texting. Wow, she's not even paying attention.

"Well maybe we will become friends after you both stay here for the month. Does that sound fun?"

Rose squeals in response and hugs me tighter. I finish getting our dinners together and set them down on the table. I put Rose in her seat and she immediately starts eating.

"Dinner's ready Scarlett."

She got up and made her way over to the table. A smirk grew in her face once she realized what we are having for dinner. Chicken wings.

"I know Evans did this. He knows I love my chicken wings."

I laugh at her assumption but continue eating. It actually was me but I let it go.

"So how's filming been for you?" I ask while taking a sip of my water.

----

Scarlett's POV

I sigh and shakes my head.

"This is the first time that I've started production of a Marvel project and been absolutely miserable."

Y/N nods, "You've seemed depressed...at least from what I saw in the press."

I turn and check to see if Rose has her headphones on. Of course she does.

"Let's not say depressed. But I was definitely stressed out and sad."

"I saw that you and Colin broke up. Is that true?"

I roll my eyes at the thought of him. He's a good person overall. Never treated Rose badly or myself...until he cheated on me.

"Yea...yea it is. He um cheated on me. In his words it was a drunken mistake, but in my eyes it was a lack of respect for my daughter and I."

I take a sip of water before continuing.

"I want a family. I want to settle down, and I can't do that if the man I'm with is so quick to make a drunken mistake."

"That really sucks. I'm sorry about that." Y/N looks at me with sincerity in her eyes.

I see her hesitate to reach her hand out to me. Instead, she grabs a napkin and wipes her mouth.

"How's it been for you superstar," I ask with a smirk on my face.

A faint smile appears on her face from the nickname.

"It's been great honestly. It's just been me and Evans...oh and Smulders!" A slight blush appears on her face after saying Cobie.

A jealous feeling goes through me but I wave it off. They're probably just friends and she was thinking of something funny they had done together. Yea. That's it.

"The whole secrecy thing is really hard though. I can't even tell you what we filmed. Definitely can't tell Rose. She does not know how to keep a secret. She's already told me about the cast incident."

My eyes widen at what she just said. I think I'm going to puke. Holy shit, why would Rose tell her about that.

"It's okay I can still sign her brace though if you let me."

Wait what? Oh shit...the cast incident about her getting Y/N to sign it. I thought she was referring to what happened in the car and the conversation about love.

"You can sign it."

"But we're not friends," Y/N states with a frown.

"Who told you that?"

She tilts her head in Rose's direction and I put my fingers to my temple. This girl will be my end. Before I could answer, Rose starts to tug at my sleeve.

"Momma. I'm tired."

I look at Y/N, unsure of where Rose will be sleeping. As if she can read my mind, Y/N gets up and grabs Rose's bags, and walks over to a door right near the stairwell.

"Here is your room Rose."

She opens the door and guides us inside. There are stuffed animals everywhere. Rose will definitely get over Sunny after this. Y/N leaves us so that I can get Rose ready for bed.

"Momma you sleeping with Y/N?"

My face goes red at the thought and Rose grabs my cheeks while laughing.

"Your face is red!"

I calm Rose down, tuck her in, and kiss her forehead.

"Goodnight Rose."

----

Y/N went upstairs after cleaning up the kitchen and is laying on her bed waiting for Scarlett to come upstairs. She decides to text her best friend until Scarlett comes up.

"Wow I've been standing here for ten minutes and you haven't noticed me."

----

Y/N's POV

I shoot up from my bed, startled by Scarlett's presence.

"Gonna show me where I'm sleeping?"

I nod and walk across the hall to her room. It's similar to mine except it has a reading nook in the window.

"Here you are Johansson. Have a good night."

Before I could close the door Scarlett grabs my arm and pulls me back inside her room.

"Wait. I wanted to...talk."

Great. The conversation I've been dreading. It's gonna be a long night.

-------