seventeen

-------

Y/N's POV

It's been an hour since Rose and I got back from the zoo. She's finishing off her afternoon nap while I try to rack my brain with ideas to tell Scarlett my parents are coming soon. I love my mom and dad but sometimes they have the worst timing. They've always been supportive through all of my ups and downs. My dad and Robert grew up in the same area so when I got to college and my parents retired and moved out to of the country...Robert became an uncle figure to me.

Leaving a very impressionable teen with Robert Downey Jr. was not the best idea at first, but, we both grew as the years went on and here we are. Anywho! I shake my head and make my way towards the kitchen. I decide to start making dinner early to preoccupy my mind with something else.

"Let's see what we have to work with," I mumble, opening the fridge to fully stocked shelves of food. I decide to go with spaghetti and a simple chicken caesar salad. I hear tiny feet grace the stairs with chaos as a giggling Rose comes down.

"What's so funny sunshine," I question while cutting up chicken for the salad.

"Look at me! Look at me!" I take my attention away from cooking for a second to see her twirling around in one of my t-shirts that's ten times too big for her. It's a black widow shirt to be exact.

I laugh and snap a photo of her before putting my hand on my hip in confusion, "How did you get that?"

She makes the same face that Scarlett does when she's guilty of something. It quite funny how similar they are. "Well...I want to dress like you so I went to room and pulled shirt off your bed!"

I shake my head and smile. I always lay out my pajamas and I'm guessing that's where she pulled it from. Rose asks if she can help and I nod. She sits on the counter, far from the stove, and helps me with the salad mixer. She is completely mesmerized by the salad mixer. Every time she gets to push the button to make it spin her eyes light up. I finish up the rest of the cooking and get Rose to help me set the table.

Once everything is done, Rose and I sit at the table. "Rose, do you want to wait for your mom or start eating?"

Before Rose could answer, another voice fills the room. "I hope the answer is wait for momma or else I'd be very sad." Rose almost falls over to run into Scarlett's arms.

"We were so busy we didn't even hear you come in."

I go up to Scarlett and give her a warm embrace, and lean in for a kiss but she deflects it. Woah. What the hell?

They've both sit down at the table and wait for me. I make my way quietly over, still confused by what just happened.

"So what did you two do today," Scarlett asks in a grilling way.

"Momma, we went to the zoo. Y/N surprised me!"

I smile and nod letting Rose tell Scarlett everything.

"We saw lions and snakes and pandas and giraffes," Rose continues listing off just about every animal at the zoo, Scarlett and I both surprised that she remembers every animal.

"And Y/N got me a new stuffed animal."

"Hey that was supposed to be our secret," I counter. I look up to Scarlett glaring at me. She told me a few weeks ago not to get Rose anymore stuffed anythings but...I can't tell her no.

Dinner continues on as Scarlett catches us up on what she's doing at work this week. While Rose is eating her third serving of spaghetti and Scarlett and I are cleaning in the kitchen she taps my shoulder.

"I think it's time we tell her," she whispers in my ear. My face gets serious and I nod in agreement. If we don't tell her tonight she will know by the time Robert or Evans are around her next. Which could be any hour. I finish wiping down the counter and meet Scarlett back in the dining room with Rose.