twenty-five

———————

Y/N's POV

Scarlett and I sat in silence for almost an hour before I spoke up. "Isn't it your birthday today? I don't see any balloons." I know it's her birthday but I think she doesn't.

Scarlett scrambles to her feet in shock. "Holy shit I forgot my birthday!" She smacks herself on the forehead and plops back on the bed.

"I'm guessing you haven't been on your phone today...you probably have loads of messages wishing you the best birthday." I smile at her as she awes and smiles while reading the messages on her phone.

"Fuck! Mark and I always do a birthday dinner together I completely forgot!" I grab her hands and squeeze them to calm her down. "Scar...it's okay Downey and Olsen handled everything. You just need to show up." The distress washed from her face and a look of relief replaced it. She hugs me tightly and thanks me.

————

It's now later in the day and Scarlett is rummaging through her closet looking for an outfit to wear tonight.

"Nothing fits! I haven't had a chance to buy maternity clothes yet and it's slapping me in the face."

I laugh and slowly pick up the clothes she's thrown behind her and onto me and the bed. There's a teal dress in the back corner and it looks like it should cover her growing belly. I grab it and tap her on the shoulder. "What about this?"

Her shoulders drop and the wrinkle between her eyebrows disappears. She turns around and begins to strip her clothes off. At first, I freeze, unsure of what to do. Then I opt to cover my eyes. It felt like forever and then I felt a soft hand pull my arm away from my eyes.

In front of me a sight to behold. The newly 33 year old stood before me in the teal dress with a tan peacoat to protect her from the cold. She curled her short hair and put it in a half up, half down style. With her hair out of her face you could see the tiny freckles and features usually hidden behind makeup.

"You look beautiful." She blushes at my compliment and comes over to hug me. "I'd have a paper bag on if you hadn't of found this dress." Scarlett leans and kisses me on the cheek. My cheeks began to burn as I tried hard to hide my smile.

"Oh my gosh! Boundaries. I'm so sorry Y/N, I don't know what I was thinking..." She stands there in a daze, embarrassed by her recent action.

Scarlett's POV

WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST DO! I kissed her? The same day she just got back from rehab? What's wrong with me I'm so selfish!

"Scarlett...It's okay I promise. Everything is a lot different now. Let's just take it one day at a time. Moment by moment."

I nod in agreement and sit on the bed. There is a moment of silence as Y/N stands awkwardly with her hands shoved in her pockets. "I'll stay here and watch Rose if you'd like. I wasn't invited so I'm not sure if there's space for me."

I guess Lizzie and Robert thought it would be better for her not to come. But I want her there. She should be able to see everyone. They're her family too. "Rose has a sitter remember. Go get ready Y/LN. I'll meet be at your doorstep in 25 minutes."

Y/N nods and smiles at me, rushing off to get ready for the party. It's not a formal gala or anything so it shouldn't take her too long. I go downstairs to see what Rose is up to and find her sitting on the couch eating goldfish with her sitter.

"Momma, Momma! We watch Lilo and Stretch!" I laugh at her mispronunciation. Serena, the sitter, laughs as well but tells Rose it's actually Stitch.

"Serena do you need any money for food tonight? Also feel free to use the guest room in case I'm not home by 12."

"No ma'am I'm good on cash. Also I brought an overnight bag and my laptop so feel free to be out as late as you'd like." I smile and thank her before giving her and Rose hugs. I grab my keys and wallet and head out to Y/N's.

My birthday is turning out better than I expected. Hopefully this party goes great.

———————