twenty-three

———————

Lizzie's POV

"Jeez Y/LN. November is really putting you through the ringer."

She nods and continues nibbling on her pizza slice. We talk for a while and then she tells me that her head is bothering her and wants to rest. I turn out the lights and pull her blanket over her arms. Y/N is fast asleep and I've decided to get some work done. I get some emails sent and fill out a few checklists when an article pops up in my email from Hemsworth.

Did you see this?!? Y/N cannot see this it will throw her for a loop.

TMZ Exclusive: Scarlett and Colin back together? After a "casual" coffee date, paparazzi capture the two locking lips. Is it back on for the Marvel Superhero and SNL Veteran?

My eyes go wide at the email and I look up at Y/N, thank god she's still fast asleep. Fuck Scar...what is going on with her? I pull my phone out and text Robert.

Robert, we need to have a group meeting, excluding Y/N, but it's concerning Scarlett. Her behavior towards us has been wack and even more wack towards Y/N.

You're right. I'm guessing you got the email from Chris as well. Y/N cannot see this right now, her focus has to be on staying clean and mentally becoming healthy again.

Yea, and I agree. Colin cheated on her of all things. There has to be some reason why she's pushing Y/N away like this.

Maybe she's pregnant. That would explain why she's not doing any of her stunts right now, and why she's overly protective of Rose, and so quick with emotion without thinking first...and eating all my sandwiches.

I put my phone down and think about Robert's text. That would make a lot of sense...but how? I look over at Y/N and rub her arm. Poor girl. She just has no idea what to do.

————
Three weeks later

Y/N's POV

It's been a long month. My parents are officially in town for Thanksgiving. It's Tuesday the 22nd of November and it's Mark's Birthday... and Scarlett's. My program approved me to leave the facility until Friday so that I can see everyone and spend Thanksgiving at home. I finish putting my last few shirts in a backpack and head out to the front door. I'm not allowed to drive yet per my program and the state's regulations so my mom is picking me up.

I see a black suburban pull up and I hop inside. I'm engulfed in a big fuzzy hug and relax at the smell of my mother's scent.

"My darling! How are you? Are they treating you well? You look healthy. How's the movie?"

"Mom...Mom...one thing at a time," I say chuckling at her enthusiasm.

I breathe out and get ready to talk about how I've been. My mom listens to my every word and by the end we arrive at my house.

"You're still my brave and strong daughter. I'm already so proud of how far you've come. Your dad is probably already taking his afternoon nap but we will be over tomorrow to have lunch." I nod and give my mom a hug before stepping out of the car with my bags.

I unlock the door and walk into the kitchen. There's a big welcome home sign, flowers, a teddy bear, and cards on the island. This had to be Lizzie and Chris. I walk over to the cards on the island and open one with a sunset on the front. Before I even begin reading I know who it's from.

Scarlett.

I breathe out and begin reading the card.

Hi Y/NN. I hope all is well. You may not think that I care anymore but I do. Everyday I think about you and hope that you're okay. I'm a coward. I messed up something really good and caused your life to spiral. Never not once did I stop caring and watching out for you. I've been trying to find the right way to show how much I love you but I can't seem to. I've been lost without you and so has Rose. Colin came back into my life briefly. You probably saw or heard. He wrecked it once again within just a week of becoming friends once again. I want to explain to you what happened in person, if you're willing to listen to me. I know I have no right to ask anything of you but if I can just ask this one time, I'd be forever grateful. I love you Y/N. I never stopped. If you love me and are willing to hear me stop by after you read this letter.

Fuck. I sit for what feels like hours, rereading the letter. Analyzing every dotted "i" and crossed "t". I'd be an idiot to go over there...but I'd also be an idiot not to. I love her too much to not hear her. However, I'm turning a new leaf. I need to respect myself first.

————

I look down at my feet and knock on the door. It's like my mind and body took me here. I don't even remember the walk. I hear small footsteps. My Rose opens the door and it takes her only a second or two before she's screaming and jumping up and down.

"You're back! You're back!"

"Hi Rose. I missed you so much," I wrap her into a warm embrace, a few tears escape from my eyes.

"Rose! What did I say about opening the door before chec— Y/N?"

My eyes almost bulge out of my head as I look up to Scarlett. Her hair is no longer short, it's grown out long down her back. Freckles dot her face like stars and her eyes are wide in shock but also relief.

"Hey...I uh just read your letter and decided to stop by." I explain as I stand up with Rose in my arms.

"Right yea the letter. Um did you wanna come upstairs and talk about it?"

I nod and put Rose down as Scarlett tells her to go play in the living room. We walk up the stairs and make our way into the guest room. I sit on the edge of the bed and she sits on the sofa across the room. There is silence as we both stare at one another.

"I missed you."