Chapter 8

Xu Qin's car speeds quickly from the Xi San to the southward area. There's no traffic jam, no red light so very quickly she could arrive there at the outside of Shi Li Dai firefighter station center camp.

It's a late night.

The lights are yellow, the street is soundless.

Xu Qin looks inside the fence. The time she wants to climb it, on the drill ground, there's a noise of police dog.

"Gong!"

A big black dog runs over from the drill ground: "Ao! Ao!"

Xu Qin is startled and turns he rhead to run away. Yet that dog seems to 'unwilling to forgive her'. His attention is occupied on Xu Qin. What divides them is the fence. "Ao! Ao!"

The barking voice is so fierce and malicious, it resounds to the whole street.

Xu Qin runs toward the entrance, the guard looks at her.

A man comes forward and scolds the dog: "Xiao Meng!"

The dog stops barking abruptly.

Xu Qin tidies up her hair and clothes and looks over. The dog is looking at Xu Qin with bright eyes then the dog just returns back to that man.

Xu Qin asks the guard: "Hi, I'm looking at Song Yan."

The guard glances at the warning sign in front of the entrance. Xu Qin also looks at it too. It is written "No visitation."

The man, who scolds the dog, comes over. That person is tall but Xu Qin couldn't see him very clearly.

Xu Qin fixes her gaze on him. Very quick, she turns relieved. She could that man clealry now, it's the Political commissar, Suo Jin.

Suo Jin comes over to look at the situation, he recognizes Xu Qin. "You were...."

Xu Qin: "Hi, I'm looking for Song Yan."

Suo JIn: "He is going away for government-sponsored training."

Xu Qin: "..... Oh."

Suo Jin: "What's the matter?"

Xu Qin: "Nothing, I just passed by. Thank you, bye."

"Ay...." Suo Jin still wants to do something, Xu Qin already turns her body and goes to her car. She leaves.

She looks at the window, the city looks gloomy. It looks listless. If it's a rainstorm, she feels it's a bit better. Xu Qin lights on her cigarette.

She is so bored and feels so suffocating.

...........

The next day, the sun rides high in the sky, the temperature is raising.

Several firefighters are accessed physically under the scorching sun.

The firefighters are lining up well. Song Yan blows the whistle and the firefighters, who are lining up, start to run forward passing the starting line. They run, hurdle, crawl, pass the obstacles, push up, sit-up.

Song Yan stays there and records the time.n

It all takes about an hour.

Song Yan looks at the table: "Attention!"

The firefighters start to stand up straight.

"Stand at ease."

They follow his order.

"The achievement report.

Jiang Yi: short-distance run 11 seconds 3; hurdle: 17 seconds......" Song Yan looks at his own group members and notices Suo Jun comes over: "....... all the total is 2 minutes 24 seconds. You are 15 second faster than last week. — Clap your hands."