The End Of An Era (22)

Brrrring. Brrrring. Kat heard the blaring sound of her phone ringing off as it sat on the edge of the bed. She lifted it up to find Aisha's face spread across her phone screen, requesting face time. "Aisha, what's up?" Kat half-smiled as she rubbed her bedhead. Kat's eyebrows perked up at the sight of Aisha wearing her gi. Were they in the dojo?

"Dude! What the fuck happened last night? And where are you?! We're at the dojo right now, and you won't believe what the backstabbers at Miyagi-Do did!" Aisha screamed, a scornful expression passing her usually soft features.

Kat sighed. "It's alright; I'm sure whatever you have to say isn't that bad—" Aisha interrupted, rolling her eyes, "No! It's bad. Sam's dad posted an ad on youtube for Miyagi-Do! And Hawk was right. Robby Keene is Sensei's son!"

The plastered smile on Kat's face dropped. Eli was right. Robby was Sensei Johnny's son. "I'm on my way," Kat assured, hanging up without haste.

She quickly threw on one of the gi's she stowed away in a nearby closet. Beneath the ugly Christmas sweaters, the reflective ghostly white uniform sat, folded without care. The gi was her biological father's, a man she had never met and one she could live without. It must've been from the 80's era of karate, with a Cobra Kai logo plastered on the hem of the collar. Next to the logo, the initials T.S. Fuck that guy, but this will do. She tied the surrounding string around her waist to prevent wardrobe malfunctions, then tied the pants to the shortest length. Whoever her father was, he certainly wasn't an obese man. Instead, fit and ridiculously tall.

Kat waved goodbye to Enzo, who stood near the front door munching on a bagel. "You're wearing T—" he stopped, "never mind." He smiled, but his eyes winced at the sight. "Have fun, kid."

"Thanks, buddy," Kat replied with a click of her tongue. "If mom asks, I'm at the Cobra Kai dojo." She fled with a water bottle and a small black backpack filled with extra clothes. As she hopped into her mom's old corvette, Kat roared the engine a bit before speeding off into the abyss.

With sunglasses sitting on the bridge of her nose, Kat smiled at the sunset rising from above the clouds. In contrast with the gray clouds, the pale orange was enough to warrant a grin. "God, what a beautiful sight." She commented, turning the current song, The Way I Are by Timbaland, featuring Keri Hilson, on full blast. "Baby, it's alright now. You ain't gotta flaunt for me, yeah." Kat embraced the breeze that ruffled through the waves of her hair upon leaving the sunroof open.

What felt like seconds was half an hour before reaching the dojo. As a result of Miyagi-Do's newly created advertisement, the session was estimated to span a few hours at a minimum. When your enemies are close to your success, pull the rug beneath their feet by working harder than them. That's what the stepfather from hell, Matthew, always said. "Rest in pieces, asshole," Kat chuckled to herself.

Upon reaching the strip mall of businesses, she parked her car near the farthest side of the road and sped and walked towards the dojo. Inside, she observed a small portion of the class being taught by Aisha, followed by Eli and Miguel faintly be seen through the transparent windows of their Sensei's office. Kat fixed her gi and marched into the dojo with confidence.

As Kat waltzed inside, she took notice of the older Sensei, Kreese. His eyebrows furrowed while his jaw slackened. Though, he quickly fixed himself and turned away from her harsh gaze. What was his problem?

Both Miguel and Eli walked out of Sensei's mini office with hurtful expressions. After leaving the room, Kat smiled at the two, despite feeling awkward about the events that happened last night. Only Miguel recuperated the kind gesture between the two, whereas Eli wore a look of disgust and turned away with a huff. Kat walked closer to Eli, but upon seeing her, he walked toward the other side of the dojo and scowled in her direction. "Eli, please—" Kat breathed, clenching her jaw.

"Don't fucking talk to me!" Hawk lashed out. His lips quivered while he held a long-awaited breath. "You're a traitor of Cobra Kai. You were flirting with the enemy, then you didn't have my back, and now you're trying to act cute and innocent. It's a fucking façade, Kat." Hawk hissed as a vein bulged from his forehead, emphasizing the anger he felt towards her at that moment.

Miguel stood up from the floor to restrain Hawk, but it was too late. "Dude, calm down, alright? We're all on the same team."

Hawk dryly chuckled. "Are we, though? I don't think we are, not when people we consider friends betray us by associating with our enemies."

"So, let me get this straight. I can't be friends with someone if they're not in Cobra Kai?" Kat scoffed in amazement at the dictatorship.

His face turned a bright red at the notion. "No, Katherine. You can't be friends with someone that is a direct ally of our rival dojo. Do you realize how stupid it makes us look?"

"I think you're doing an exceptional job of making yourself look like a fucking tool without my help," Kat muttered, a few tears strayed from her eyes.

Emerging from the backroom's office were Sensei's Johnny and Kreese. "Hey, kid. That's no way to talk to a lady, yeah?" Johnny exclaimed, berating Hawk.

With a smug expression, Hawk's lips twitched into a mischievous grin. "I fail to find the lady you're referring to, Sensei."

Kat scoffed, "Fuck you. You're barely a man. You can't even grow out facial hair, you prepubescent bastard!" she snapped back.

Standing next to Sensei Lawrence, the older Sensei grinned with wide, bloodshot eyes. "That's the spirit, Mills. I want you to take that rage, the fueling blood that pumps through your veins, and I want you to use it to fight." He exclaimed, clasping his hands for dear life.

"With all due respect, Sensei Kreese, are you a politician? You want me to utilize my disdain for this asshole to help Cobra Kai win this three-decade-year-old rivalry against Miyagi-Do?" Kat questioned.

The older man laughed, his hands clasped together. "That's the thing, miss Mills. Between you and I, politicians lie, but for me?" He chuckled before continuing, "I'm never going to hold back the truth. Yes, I want you to explore that untapped rage, and yes, I want to win the All West-Valley championship against LaRusso and his minions. But no," Sensei Kreese inched closer to Kat, still towering over her, "I will never lie about my intentions."

Kat snapped her mouth shut and blinked a few times to envelope the almost formed tears. "May I relinquish my anger onto the punching bag in the backroom?" She asked with a slight smile.

"Actually..." Kreese began, his eyes narrowed with delight. "Why use a punching bag when your opponent can punch back?" His gaze flickered between Miguel and Hawk, who stood several footsteps behind Sensei Johnny. "Miss Mills, how'd you like to spare with either of these two wonderful fighters?"

Before accepting his offer, the young girl slid her tongue over her parched lips. "I'd love nothing more than to wipe the smirk off that hot topic hair-dyed asshole's face!" Kat exclaimed. "You," she pointed at Hawk, "and me," she pointed at herself, "now."

In response, Hawk swallowed the lump that formed in his throat. Was it anxiety or reluctance to fight his girlfriend, ex-girlfriend, that is... He smugly grinned before throwing the top of his gi to the ground, exposing his flexed muscles and detailed Hawk tattoo on his back. "Bring it on, Mills."

"Don't hold back, Moskowitz," Kat muttered as she tied her short hair into a ponytail.

Hawk scoffed at her remark. "Don't worry, Mills. I never do."