Letters to Kat (41)

Kat stood in the doorway, tears streaming down her face, as she reached out for her mother's comforting embrace. Ali immediately enveloped her daughter in a tight hug, holding her close.

"I wasn't there, Mom," Kat sobbed, her voice choked with grief. "I wasn't there when Grandma died. I was in the hospital because of that stupid fight at the high school."

Ali shushed her gently, her voice filled with empathy. "Oh, sweetheart, it's not your fault. You couldn't have known. Grandma knew how much you loved her, and she wouldn't want you to blame yourself."

Johnny, standing nearby, shifted uncomfortably, his eyes darting around the room as he noticed the presence of the police officers. He scratched the back of his neck nervously, trying to avoid their gaze.

One of the officers looked at Johnny intently, a curious expression on his face. "Hey, don't I know you?" he asked, his voice tinged with suspicion.

Johnny quickly shook his head, his discomfort evident. He mumbled a response and retreated to his car, now a modest minivan, hoping to avoid any further attention from the officers.

The next morning, Ali stood in the kitchen, attempting to make breakfast. However, her mind was clouded with grief, and she accidentally burned the eggs. Frustration welled up inside her, and she slammed the pan into the sink, fighting back tears.

Kat watched her mother with concern. "Mom, maybe you should go out for breakfast or something with Johnny," she suggested gently. "Do you still like him, even after all these years?"

A faint smile tugged at Ali's lips as she looked at her daughter. "Oh, sweetheart, that ship probably sailed a long time ago," she replied. "I'm still trying to recover from the mistakes of the men in my life before. It's not easy."

Kat nodded understandingly, her own grief mingling with her mother's pain. "I guess I'll just scratch the eggs and have cereal," she said softly. "I'm not really hungry anyway."

Ali reached out to touch her daughter's hand, her voice filled with warmth. "Kat, try to stay positive, even in the midst of all this sadness," she urged. "We need to send prayers for Miguel in the hospital and not let the weight of our sorrows consume us."

Kat's voice trembled slightly as she spoke. "But Mom, we can't all run from our problems, leaving our daughter behind for years," she said.

Ali's eyes filled with tears, but she held her ground. "I know I can't undo the past, and I don't expect you to forgive me easily," she replied. "But we're in this together, Kat. We're family, and we'll face whatever comes our way, side by side."

Kat nodded, the weight of their shared burden heavy on her young shoulders. With a determined expression, she kissed her mother's cheek and left for school. As she walked through the hallways, she noticed the surprised looks from everyone around her.

Moon suddenly appeared as Kat made her way through the school hallways, her face filled with concern. She ran up to Kat, her eyes wide with surprise.

"Kat, what are you doing here? Everyone thought you were in the hospital," Moon exclaimed, her voice tinged with sorrow.

Kat gave a half-hearted smile and replied, "I was, but Tory's spiked belt did a number on me." She pulled up her sleeve, revealing a deep, still-fresh gash on her wrist. "See? It's a souvenir from the fight."

Moon gasped, gently taking Kat's arm and inspecting the wound. "Does it still hurt?" she asked, her voice laced with concern.

Kat shrugged. "Nothing hurts more than not being able to protect your friends," she remarked. "Besides, my grandma just died, and I'm still here."