See You On The Other Side (54)

In the stillness of Johnny's apartment, Kat slouched on the tattered couch, her gaze fixed upon what seemed like a distant horizon painted on the cracked walls

Miguel shuffled on his crutches, his movements slow and steady. The soft rustle of wrapped sweets heralded his approach, and a Twinkie clenched in his mouth like a golden trophy. "Hey Kat, isn't your 18th birthday tomorrow?" he murmured between his teeth.

Kat sighed. "Yeah, it is," she replied, her voice carrying the weight of unspoken angst.

Johnny ceased his typing, caught off guard by the revelation. "Holy shit! You're already gonna be 18?" he exclaimed.

Her affirmation came with a nod. Miguel edged closer, the clack of his crutches speaking his concern. "I know you're bummed because Hawk broke Demetri's arm, and Robby's in juvie," he said, positioning himself beside her, "but you can't control that, y'know? Just try to look on the bright side."

Bright side? In a moment of rebellion, her eyes rolled, accompanied by the tousling of blonde hair. "What bright side is there? There's nothing worthy of celebrating, and nobody would come."

Johnny's rebuttal was quick, dismissing her fears. "Nah, that's bullshit. Tons of people would go. We should do something to celebrate."

But her heart wasn't in it. "None of my friends like me right now. It's best if I just do nothing," Kat's voice was flat.

Miguel's curiosity wouldn't relent. "Alright, Kat. What's something you've always wanted to do?"

With reflection came a spark of desire, an ember amidst the cold. "I've always wanted to go skydiving," she admitted, her voice tinged with the thrill of freefall.

A flicker of shock crossed Miguel's face. "S-skydiving?" he repeated, the word teetering on the edge of fear.

Johnny's reply was a deep breath, a moment's preparation before commitment. He stood, conviction in his posture. "We're not pussies! Let's do it," he declared.

Kat's bleak demeanor shattered into a radiant smile. "Really? You guys would do it with me?"

Miguel, hesitating just a heartbeat, seemed to draw energy from the resolve around him. "I mean—"

But he was cut off by Johnny's determined interruption. "Yeah, we'll do it."

Sunlight blanketed Kat's room, signaling a new day. Despite the gentle warmth, she lay a little longer in bed, her teenage years dusting away with each tick of the clock. Today wasn't just another day. It was a personal milestone—her 18th birthday. With a deep breath, she gathered herself and headed towards the kitchen.

There, amidst the familiar hum of the refrigerator and the soft buzz of the morning news, stood her mom, Ali, a bright grin stretched across her face and a birthday cake cradled in her arms. The candles proudly displayed the number '18' as if they were heralding a new chapter in Kat's life.