Black Out Days (52)

***Kat sat on the back of her porch, on a bench, sipping on a cup of tea as she looked at the sky

***
Kat sat on the back of her porch, on a bench, sipping on a cup of tea as she looked at the sky. The gentle breeze played with her hair, and she closed her eyes, seeking a moment of peace.

Just as she began to feel the calming effects of the peaceful scene, her phone started ringing. She sighed, slightly annoyed, but curiosity got the better of her as she picked it up and saw that it was "Johnny (Sensei)" calling.

"Hello?" she answered.

Behind the phone, she could hear Johnny fumbling with his own device. "Jesus, Miguel. How do I work this thing?" he muttered to himself.

In the background, Miguel's voice sounded exasperated. "Sensei, you called her. Just put it on speaker."

Johnny let out a frustrated smack of his phone. "How the hell do I do that?"

Miguel's voice came through the line as he wheeled toward Johnny. "Give it here," he said, taking the phone from Johnny's hands and turning on the speaker. "Hey, Kat. It's Miguel. I'm with Sensei, and we're at my apartment complex. He's using unorthodox methods to try to make me walk."

Johnny's voice carried over as he yelled in the background, "Kat, come over to our apartment complex, we're gonna help Miguel."

A smile touched Kat's lips. "Sure. I'll be over soon," she replied before hanging up and making her way to Miguel's apartment complex.

As she arrived, she found Miguel in a wheelchair on the ground floor, with Johnny holding a fishing rod with an '80s Playboy magazine dangling from the line above Miguel's head.

"What in the world is going on here?" Kat asked, trying to suppress a laugh.

"We're using unorthodox methods to motivate this kid," Johnny explained, grinning mischievously.

Miguel rolled his eyes but grinned. "Yeah, Sensei's idea of 'interesting' is questionable at best," he admitted, attempting to stand up from his wheelchair.

Kat stepped forward to help Miguel regain his balance. "You guys are something else," she said, shaking her head. "But if it helps, I'm all for it."

As Kat ran over to help Miguel, she watched in disbelief as Johnny continued with his unorthodox motivational tactics. He held the '80s Playboy magazine on the fishing rod and laughed, seemingly undeterred by Miguel's fall.

"Well, this is more unorthodox than you mentioned on the phone," Kat remarked sarcastically as she approached Johnny.

Miguel ran a hand through his black hair and sighed. "You could've dangled a PS5 in front of my face, and I still would've fallen out of my chair," he said with a frown.

Kat smirked. "I can arrange that," she said, playfully.

Johnny shook his head. "No, we're not done," he declared before disappearing briefly.