Into Open Arms (40)

Kat's eyes flutter open, and she finds herself in an unfamiliar bed. She shivers, feeling the dried blood on her wrist. Her body aches, and she can't shake off the heaviness in her chest. With a deep breath, she slowly sits up, careful not to disturb the bed, and makes her way to the bathroom.

As she steps in front of the mirror, she takes in her own reflection. Her skin is pale, and dark circles underline her exhausted eyes. She looks and feels like hell. She fights back the tears, pressing her hand against her mouth to stifle her sobs. The image of Miguel lying in the hospital bed, injured because she couldn't save him from Robby's lethal kick, haunts her thoughts.

A gentle knock at the bathroom door startles her, and she quickly wipes away her tears. She asks who it is, her voice trembling slightly.

"It's me, Hawk," comes the familiar voice from the other side. "Are you okay? You can use the shower if you want. Just avoid the Men's products."

Kat manages a weak smile, grateful for Hawk's concern. "I'm fine, thanks," she replies, her voice slightly hoarse. "I'll take a shower."

Turning on the faucet, she steps into the warm water, letting it cascade over her tired body. It stings against the fresh cuts on her arm, remnants of Tori's attack. She curses Tori's name under her breath, feeling the weight of guilt settle on her shoulders once more. And then there's Miguel, her friend and teammate, lying in the hospital because she failed to protect him.

Kat scrubs herself vigorously, trying to wash away the dirt and guilt that cling to her skin. She lathers her hair with shampoo, desperately trying to distract herself from the pain of the past. But the sadness creeps in, overwhelming her, and she finds herself sinking to the floor of the shower, curling into a ball.

Minutes pass, and she finally manages to pull herself together. She stands up, water dripping from her body, and reaches for a towel to dry herself off. She looks at her reflection in the fogged-up mirror, her eyes filled with sadness.

"I'm sorry, Miguel," she whispers to herself, her voice breaking. "I'm so fucking sorry..."

Kat shakily wraps the towel around herself and steps out of the bathroom, feeling every ounce of guilt weigh on her weakened state.

Kat emerges from the bathroom, the towel wrapped around her wet body. Hawk stands up from the bed, his eyes awkwardly averting her gaze. He holds out a fresh pair of his clothes, offering them to her.

"Thanks," Kat says with a nod, taking the clothes from Hawk's outstretched hand. She retreats back into the bathroom to change, slipping into Hawk's oversized Star Wars shirt and pajama pants. The soft fabric provides a small comfort amidst the chaos that surrounds her.

Hawk follows her into the bathroom, leaning against the doorway. "We can always go back to your house to get more clothes," he suggests. "It's only a matter of time before Ali figures out where you are."

Kat smirks, a bitter edge to her expression. "I wouldn't be surprised, considering my mom hasn't texted or called yet," she says, her voice laced with disappointment. "She's too busy trying to get back together with Johnny to care about her own daughter."

Hawk tries to offer some reassurance. "Maybe she's just giving you some space or something," he suggests. "She doesn't strike me as the type to neglect her kid."

Kat shoots Hawk a skeptical look. "Looks can be deceiving, especially when you're dealing with someone unassuming," she retorts, her voice tinged with bitterness.

Hawk nods, understanding the weight of her words. He leads Kat out of the bedroom and into the living room, where his mom is busy baking breakfast. The scent of freshly baked goods fills the air, briefly distracting Kat from her troubled thoughts.

Hawk's mom looks up, her eyes lighting up at the sight of Kat. "Oh, you must be the girl Hawk's been talking about," she says cheerfully. "He's never had a girl over before."

Kat manages a small smile, grateful for the warmth in Hawk's family home. "Well, there's a first time for everything, right?" she replies, her lips twitching into a smile.

Hawk moves to the television and turns it on, hoping to distract both himself and Kat. The news pops up on the screen, and a news anchor's voice fills the room. "Police are still looking for Robby Keene, who fled the scene after kicking a fellow student, Miguel Diaz, from a second-floor balcony," the anchor reports. "Keene has been expelled, while Diaz remains in a coma at West Valley General. Doctors say his prognosis—"

Hawk quickly shuts off the television, his eyes fuming with anger, but it quickly dissipates as he gazed at Kat. "I'm sorry, Kat," he says softly. "Maybe we should avoid the news, or social media right now..."

Kat takes a deep breath, trying to steady her emotions. "It's, uh, it's fine, Eli. Why don't we get some fresh air?"

Hawk's mom looks up from her oven. She asks, "Do you kids want anything before you go? I made muffins."

Hawk shot a glare at his mom before saying, "Not now, ma. Maybe later."

Kat and Hawk leave Hawk's house, their faces etched with worry and heaviness. The drive back to Kat's house is silent, the weight of their respective burdens hanging heavily in the air. They arrive at the mansion, and Kat rushes inside, calling out for her grandmother.

"I'm home!" Kat's voice weak as she enters the grand foyer. Her eyes flicker toward the living room, and her heart drops as she sees her grandmother lying face down on the ground.

With a gasp, Kat drops to her knees beside her grandma, her hands shaking as she cradles the frail woman's head. She gently moves strands of gray hair aside, desperately searching for a pulse on her grandma's neck.

There is nothing. No heartbeat. Panic rises within Kat, and she screams for Hawk to call an ambulance or do something, anything to save her grandmother.

Hawk quickly pulls out his phone, his fingers fumbling as he dials the emergency services. He relays the situation to the operator, his voice filled with urgency. "An older woman is down, no pulse," he says, his voice cool.  "Please, send help. We need an ambulance."

The operator assures him that help is on the way and instructs him to remain on the line until the emergency responders arrive. Kat's tears stream down her face as she clings to her grandma, her heart breaking with each passing moment.

Hawk's eyes meet Kat's, and he offers her a small, sympathetic nod. He understands the depth of her pain and sorrow, even as words fail to express it. Kat shakes her head, her voice choked with grief. "No," she whispers. "No, Grandma, please."

Outside, the wailing sirens grow louder as the police arrive, their urgent knocks on the door echoing through the mansion. Kat, with a heavy heart, invites the police inside.

In the chaos, Kat's mother, Ali, and Johnny rush to the front door, their faces etched with concern. Ali, her eyes searching for her daughter and mother, breathlessly, she says, "My mother is inside! I need to know what happened."

Ali's gaze lands on Kat, whose eyes are red and puffy. She wraps her arms around Kat, holding her tight. "Oh, my baby girl."

Kat's tears flow uncontrollably as she collapses into her mother's embrace. Ali caresses her daughter's hair, her voice hoarse from the tears that she swallowed. "It's going to be okay, Kat," she whispers, her own voice trembling. "I'm here for you now. We'll get through this together."

Johnny's gaze shifts toward Hawk, and he can feel the weight of Hawk's glare—a burning anger that could kill. Johnny knows that Hawk holds him responsible for Miguel's condition, and guilt washes over him.

Amidst the sorrow and heartache, Kat continues to cry in her mother's arms, her words barely audible. "She's gone," she whispers brokenly. "Grandma is gone, and Miguel... Miguel is in the hospital."

Ali holds Kat's cheeks as she whispers, "Baby, it's not your fault. Okay?"

Kat nods as Ali embraces her once again. She takes deep breaths, trying to steady herself in her mom's arms.