Breaking Dawn (30)

It was Kat's first time riding a motorcycle. Not even her ex-boyfriend Nick could ever convince her to ride on his motorcycle, but for the cause, she vowed to try something new. Despite how uncomfortable she felt, Kat was excited, though she wouldn't admit it.

On the motorcycle, Johnny stretched his legs to reach the petals and adjusted the seating to his comfort-level. He waved down Kat, who paced meters away in the same parking lot. "Come on, kid. Let's go!" he shouted, signaling at the young girl.

Kat reluctantly took the spare motorcycle helmet and propped herself on the backseat. She wasn't sure how motorcycles worked, but she'd seen them in movies. With a sharp exhale, Kat wrapped her arms around Johnny.

The gesture reminded Johnny of fond memories he shared with Ali. As teens, how Ali held on tight as she feared falling off, or the scent of her lavender and lemon scented hair as she snuggled up against him.

There is nothing that hurts more than a memory. Maybe heartbreak, or the thought of losing something that was once so precious, and yet, you didn't know the value of it then. But, the past should be left in the past. Period.

The group drove to a local bar, one that occupied the location of a former pizza parlor three decades ago. The Tipsy Twisler, the neon sign, written in cursive reflected.

"What a stupid name," Kat thought.

Thankfully, despite Kat being underaged, the bartenders didn't bat an eye at her presence. It wasn't like she would drink, not today, anyway.

The guys found an empty table with tall stools, located conveniently near the bar. "Sweet," Tommy grinned. "Man, do you guys remember this place?" he asked with an unreadable expression.

"Oh, for sure," Dutch said, "this place was a dump."

Tommy tsk'd his tongue. "Nah, it wasn't that bad. Aye, remember that time—" he began, but Johnny gestured for him to pipe down.

He tried to conceal his laughter with disappointment. "Dude, we're not talking about that right now..." Johnny scoffed.

"Okay, so..." Tommy continued, completely ignoring Johnny.

Johnny sighed with an amused expression. "Oh, god."

"It's me, Johnny, Bobby, and Dutch. We're at this pizza parlor, and Bobby dares Johnny to ask out the hot waitress," Tommy explains, "he's all stoked, you know? It's his first real-time talking to a babe, so—no joke, he uses liquid from the coca cola bottle to gel up his hair...." The man began laughing uncontrollably before he coughed, coughed, and coughed some more. "Excuse me," Tommy winced, placing a spare napkin over his mouth.

"Jesus, alright," Johnny chuckled. "You got me. I'll finish the story, eh?" Kat smiled as she was genuinely interested in hearing the end of it. "So, like Tommy said, I'm using soda to style my hair, and the waitress comes rolling on her roller skates to take our orders," he exhales before continuing, "I'm waving her down, and I'm all excited, but I was such a dumbass, I still had traces of soda dripping from my hair down to my face." He sighed, "There was enough oil on my head to twist my hair and make it look like I was some greasy scumbag!"

Dutch spoke up, still laughing at the memory of Johnny's hair. "Dude, you totally missed the part where you asked her on a date, and she called you sticky dick!" The entire table erupted in laughter, including Kat.

"Alright, let's settle this, boys! A pool match. Come on." Johnny announced with confidence.

Kat stayed behind at their table and sipped on a shirley temple drink. Her eyes fixated on the cherry laid on top of the ice, as she swished the cubes around. Suddenly, a gruffly, middle-aged voice boomed in her direction.