Pom-Poms And Pessimists (51)

Kat sat across from Robby in the visiting room of the juvenile detention center as Robby looked down at the table, his features drawn in a subtle frown.

She reached out her hand, but he jerked back slightly. "I'm sorry. I'm just really on edge right now," he said, his voice strained.

Kat sighed, adjusting herself on the uncomfortable plastic chair. "I know. I wanted to come here to check up on you. I'll keep coming for as long as you're here. I also wanted to let you know that Miguel's surgery is being taken care of. His family won't have to worry about that."

Robby's eyebrows furrowed. "I thought the car wash thing you and Sam did on the news would make some money, but not enough for Miguel's surgery."

Kat smiled sadly. "It didn't. In fact, Hawk stole the money they raised from the weakest member of Miyagi-Do. Allegedly, they gave the money to Miguel and lied, saying it was from Cobra Kai."

Robby's features darkened as he processed the news. "Are you saying Hawk and his little asshole friends are still doing bad stuff?"

Kat nodded sadly. "Not only that. Just yesterday, he tried to throw a ball at Demetri's school project. He's been worse than normal. I don't know him anymore."

Robby sighed. "I'm sorry you're going through all that. I want to help you, to be there with you and protect you from people like Hawk."

Kat leaned in close, her eyes meeting his. "I can protect myself."

Robby chuckled, a humorless sound, and shook his head. "I know you can take care of yourself. I just wish I could be there with you."

Kat smiled at Robby, but her expression faltered as she recalled Hawk's hurtful words. She looked down at her hands, a troubled look crossing her face.

Robby tilted his head, concern evident in his eyes. "What happened?" he asked.

Kat shrugged, trying to brush it off. "It's nothing, really. It's nothing."

Robby leaned in, his voice gentle. "I know when something's bothering you. You can tell me."

Kat closed her eyes and let out a sigh. "If I tell you, I don't want you to feel like it's your fault, or that I'm putting myself down. Okay?"

Robby nodded, urging her to continue.

"Hawk told me that I was alone," Kat began, her voice cracked. "You're in juvie, grandma's dead, brother's dead, don't know my dad, my mom doesn't hang around much, if at all, Miguel's still in the hospital, Tory's MIA, and Sam's probably just using me as a spy. He's using my vulnerability of being alone to get me back."

Robby grimaced, leaning back with a heavy sigh. "I'm getting out of here soon. I don't know when but in the next few months. You are not alone, Kat. Don't give in to Cobra Kai or Hawk. Stay strong."

Kat nodded, a tear slipping down her cheek. She reached out for his hand, and this time, he took it. "I'm just wondering if the reasons others don't love me are the same reasons I don't love myself," she confessed.

Robby's grip tightened, his voice steady and comforting. "You didn't do anything wrong. Sometimes things don't work out."

The next day, Kat and Moon practiced cheerleading, shaking their pom-poms at the practice soccer game between Cobra Kai and Miyagi-Do. As they cheered, a tall, handsome guy approached them.

"Hey there, ladies," he greeted with a charming smile.

Kat smiled. She said, "Hi, I'm Kat."

Meanwhile, on the soccer field, Hawk scored a goal in the opponent's net and then glanced over to see Kat chatting with the new guy. A dark cloud passed over his features as he watched.

Nearby, Demetri ran beside Hawk, taunting him. "Kat loved you, y'know?" he needled with a smirk.

Hawk turned to face Demetri, scowling. "Oh, yeah? Kat? She told me. Absolutely loved you," he retorted with an edge to his voice.

Demetri continued needling, "Man, oh, man. You had the hottest girl in school, and you messed it up by becoming a loser!"

Feeling the weight of Demetri's words, Hawk pushed him to the ground. Concerned, Kat dropped her pom-poms and rushed over to help Demetri up, offering him a hand, which he accepted. As he glanced back at Hawk with a knowing smirk and a wink, he turned back to Kat and said, "Thanks."

The coach blew the whistle and called for everyone to head to the principal's office. Kat followed the group, walking slightly faster to avoid Hawk.

As they reached the office, the principal announced that Cobra Kai was excused and could leave. Kat hurried past the Cobra Kai members to avoid Hawk.

"Hold up, Kat!" Hawk called after her. She paused and turned around to look at him.

"What is it, Eli? Are you going to hurl insults at me again? Or tell me how alone I am?" she asked, her shoulders dropping as she felt a wave of sadness.

Hawk shook his head, looking down. "I fucked up. I know," he admitted quietly.

"You did more than that, Eli. I did nothing wrong by wanting to be treated right. I just asked the wrong person, and that was you," Kat said firmly, her lips pursing into a thin line.

Hawk dropped his gaze to the floor as he scoffed. "I'm trying to apologize here. Can you just listen for one fucking minute and shut up!" he snapped, his gaze burning into her eyes.

Kat furrowed her eyebrows, her lips pursed. "This is what I mean, Eli. You're temperamental. You aren't the same gentle kid who carried a Harry Potter wallet, or won a stuffed wolf plush for me," she remarked.

Hawk shook his head. "You're right. I'm different now, because that kid—that loser, he's dead. I buried him. So either get used to me, or stay behind," he stated defiantly, stepping closer to Kat.

Kat smirked, her eyes narrowed at the boy. "You know what, Hawk?" she began, her voice steady.

Hawk's face froze at the sound of Kat actually calling him Hawk. He remained silent, waiting for her next words.

"Your worst sin is that you betrayed and destroyed yourself for nothing. I thought you were better than that," Kat said, her words cutting through the tension.

As she turned to walk away, she paused, turning to face him again. "And how dare you say I'm alone! I have myself, and that's all I need. Because I can't put my love, faith, or trust into a boy pretending to be a man who lies to himself," she declared before walking away, leaving Hawk scowling in her wake.

His friend approached his side, a subtle smirk on his face. "Damn, you fucked that up," he remarked.

Hawk scoffed. "What the fuck was I thinking? That I was going to be in a relationship? I'm a fucking psycho! That's how I operate," he muttered, frustration and regret evident in his voice.

He continued. "I don't know what she's expecting from me," Hawk muttered, scuffing his shoe against the floor. "I don't understand chicks sometimes, man."

The boy's smirk was unsympathetic, a predator-sensing weakness. "Look, dude. If you're done with her, do you mind if I get in on that?"

A flash of violent energy that seemed to surge from his feet up through his clenched fists. He turned his head towards his friend in a slow, predatory rotation, his glare loaded with a ferocity that had the other boy recoiling. Hawk grabbed the kid by the shoulder and shoved him hard against the lockers.

"Never say that shit again. I will end your shit," Hawk hissed, his voice a low growl of barely contained menace.

The guy's arms flailed up defensively, his smirk replaced with a look of genuine alarm as he squirmed in Hawk's steely grasp. "Alright, dude! I get it. She's all yours," he stammered.