Aw, Damn. I Chose The Wrong Side! (48)

Suddenly, the door swung open, and Hawk stepped into the room. A mischievous smirk played on his lips as he glanced at the scene before him—Kat feeding Miguel pudding.

"El serpentine," Hawk said, his voice playful. "It's been a while. I'm glad to see you're awake."

Kat quickly put down the pudding and looked at Miguel, a hint of awkwardness in her eyes. She felt caught in the crossfire as if being eyed by a predator.

Miguel, catching her gaze, nodded subtly, indicating that she could go if she wanted to. He understood their messy relationship.

Hawk's gaze shifted from Miguel to Kat, a sly grin appearing on his face. "Well, isn't this a pleasant surprise," he remarked, his tone dripping with sarcasm.

Kat felt her teeth gritting together, her frustration bubbling up. She crossed her arms and retorted, "Oh, it's just a blast, isn't it?"

Hawk raised an eyebrow, his eyes narrowing. "I'm surprised to see you here, considering you've been busy doing conjugal visits with Robby in juvie," he said, his voice laced with taunting amusement.

Kat's eyes widened in disbelief, and she scoffed. "How do you even know about that? Besides, that's not a conjugal visit, Eli. I just talked to him!" she demanded, her voice tinged with anger.

Miguel's expression darkened, and he interrupted, his voice filled with hurt. "Why have you been seeing the guy who put me in a coma?" he asked, his voice trembling with confusion.

Kat's face paled, her eyes filled with regret and guilt. "I was just going to see an old friend, make sure he was okay," she explained, her voice pleading for understanding. "I visited him and you. It wasn't like that."

Hawk shook his head, a coldness creeping into his voice. "You're a friend to our enemy, princess," he said firmly. "And that makes you an enemy of ours."

Kat's hands clenched into fists at her sides as she took a step forward. "That's not fair," she protested, her voice wavering with emotion. "After everything that happened, we shouldn't be dividing each other again."

Miguel's words cut through the tension in the room. "I think it's best if you leave," he said softly, his gaze fixed on the floor.

Kat nodded slightly, her eyes welling up with unshed tears. She whispered a small "Okay," trying to keep her voice steady. Before she turned to leave, she shot a glare at Hawk, silently conveying her frustration and hurt, and then she walked out of the hospital room.

Kat found herself sitting on the raised sidewalk outside the hospital, her mind swirling with conflicting emotions. She thought back to the moment she had confided in Tory about her visit to Robby. It suddenly struck her that Tory must have been the one to inform Hawk.

She buried her head in her hands, letting out a deep sigh. "Fuck," she whispered.

Kat sat on the sidewalk outside of the hospital, her eyes fixed on the passing cars. She sighed, feeling irritated. It had been a long and emotionally draining day. She rubbed her temples, trying to ease the tension that had settled in her head.

Just as Kat was about to lose herself in her thoughts, her phone rang, jolting her back to reality. She glanced at the screen and saw it was Sam calling. A wave of annoyance washed over her. She and Sam were currently on tense terms, and Kat wasn't in the mood to engage in another argument. Reluctantly, she answered the call.

"Hey, Kat," Sam's voice sounded apologetic. "Look, I know we're not on good terms right now, but we're raising money for Miguel's surgery. We really need your help."

Kat sighed heavily. Miguel was their mutual friend, and his surgery was a matter of being able to walk, or not. She couldn't let her personal issues with Sam get in the way of supporting him. "Okay, go on," she replied, her voice strained.