New Sensei In Town (44)

The sterile hospital hallway was filled with hushed voices and the occasional beep of medical equipment. Kat and Johnny stood side by side, their hearts heavy with worry, as they were ushered outside of Miguel's hospital room. The door closed behind them, and the weight of the situation settled upon their shoulders.

Kat pressed her trembling hand against her quivering lips, desperately trying to hold back tears. Johnny, his eyes filled with guilt and remorse, took a step forward towards Miguel's bedside. He swallowed hard, his voice thick with emotion.

"I'm so sorry, Miguel," Johnny whispered, his voice barely audible. "I can't stop thinking about what happened. It was all my fault."

Miguel's face contorted with anger, his voice laced with pain and frustration. "Get out," he yelled, his eyes burning with accusation. "It is your fault. You talk about showing mercy, and look where it got me. In this damn hospital."

Johnny's shoulders slumped, tears welling up in his eyes. He turned away, unable to bear the weight of Miguel's anger any longer. He left the room, his heart heavy with regret and self-blame.

Meanwhile, Kat rushed to Miguel's side, her sadness etched upon her face. She tried to smile, but it faltered, replaced by a sorrowful expression. She reached out and gently touched his hand, her voice quivering as she spoke.

"I'm so glad you're back, Miguel," Kat said softly, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Miguel's eyes searched her face, confusion mingling with pain. "What happened?" he croaked, his voice barely above a whisper. "I don't remember anything past falling."

Kat shook her head, her own tears falling freely now. She sniffled, trying to compose herself, not wanting to break down in front of Miguel. She wiped her tears, her voice trembling as she spoke.

"The doctor can explain everything better," Kat said, her voice choked with emotion. "I don't know enough. But please, just know that we're here for you."

Miguel's voice cracked as he spoke again, his fear evident. "I can't feel my legs, Kat," he murmured, his words barely audible. "Why can't I feel my legs?"

Kat's hands flew to her face, her fingers rubbing her tired eyes. She took a deep breath, trying to find the strength to deliver the devastating news. She looked into Miguel's eyes, her own filled with anguish.

A doctor entered the room, her presence a glimmer of hope amidst the despair. "I'll take over from here," she said, her voice gentle yet resolute. "When you fell from the second story to the rail, there was an injury to your spine."

Miguel's teeth clenched as he fought back tears. He mustered the courage to ask the question that haunted him. "Will I ever be able to walk again?" he whispered, his voice filled with desperation.

The doctor's expression softened, but her words offered little solace. "Anything is possible, Miguel," she said, her voice tinged with empathy. "But right now, it's going to take a miracle."

As the heavy air in Miguel's hospital room was thick with despair, the door swung open, and Carmen, Miguel's mother, burst inside. Her eyes widened in disbelief as she rushed to her son's side, tears streaming down her face.

"Miggy?!" Carmen gasped. She kissed him gently on the forehead, her tears dropping onto his hospital gown. "Oh, my baby boy."

Miguel's grandma, who had followed Carmen closely, approached his bedside with a look of both concern and love. She placed a weathered hand on his arm and whispered, "Mijo, we've missed you so much."

Kat smiled sadly, recognizing the importance of this moment. "I'll give you all some time to reunite," she said softly. "I'll be outside."

Miguel's grandmother, her eyes filled with gratitude, pulled Kat into a warm embrace. "Thank you for being there for Miguel," she whispered, her voice choked with emotion.