nine

"Your trained hard. You've gotten stronger, tougher, faster. You've done your best. You're ready for this tournament, am I right?" Johnny shouts.

"Yes, Sensei!" the class yells.

"Wrong!" he tells them as he chucks a beer can at their feet. "Your best ain't shit! If you wanna win the All Valley Under-18 Karate Tournament, you gotta give me better than your best. Which is why from now on, your gonna get my worst. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Sensei!" they shout again.

"Are you losers?" he asks.

"No, Sensei!"

"Are you nerds?"

"No, Sensei!"

"Are you sure?"

"No, Sensei!"

Johnny immediately palms his face at their response.

|

"Your enemies are all around you. Destroy them." Johnny says.

Rory and Hawk share a smile before they run off and smash cars with their pipes. They continued to do this until Johnny called them over.

"If you wanna win, you gotta be hungry." he passes around pieces of meat. "You guys hungry?"

"Yes, Sensei!" they shout.

"Good." he pulls something out of his back pocket. "Cause so are they."

The students share a confused look as he blows a whistle then all of the sudden these dogs come running out.

"Oh shit!" Rory yells as she throws the meat and immediately runs off.

The girl continues to run from this one dog before jumping on top of a car.

|

Miguel and Rory continued to punch the punching dummy until Johnny told them to stop.

"Why are we the only ones here, Sensei?" Miguel asked.

"Cause let's face it. You guys are the only chance I got at winning this thing." he says.

"So what? We're your best students?" Rory asks as the two smile.

"Don't flatter yourselves." Johnny scoffs. "Have you seen the others?"

Miguel walks over and picks up his phone before laughing. "What's so funny?" Johnny asks.

"Oh, nothing, just this funny picture my girlfriend posted?" Miguel says.

"Girlfriend?" Rory questions as she takes the phone. "Why is this the first time I'm— Sam LaRusso is your girlfriend?"

"You're dating a LaRusso?" Johnny asks.

"Yeah, why? Is something wrong?" Miguel asks.

"Unbelievable." Rory scoffs. "I'm leaving. Bye Sensei."

"Rory!" Miguel called after her but she had already left.

|

"Are you gonna tell me why you were so upset?" Miguel asks.

"Oh, hi, Rory." Carmen greets the girl. "I didn't know you were coming over."

"I came to talk to Miguel." she smiles. "It's nice to see you."

"You too." Carmen hugs her. "I'll leave you two."

Miguel waited until his mom was gone to question the girl again. "Why were you so angry?"