fifteen

"Where were you?" Rory dad's spoke.

"Why are you sitting in the dark?" Rory laughed as she switched on the light, but immediately froze. She looked at the multiple beer bottles and cans surrounding Ben.

"I asked you where you were!" he yelled.

"I— I was with a friend." she stuttered.

"Who?" he asked, drinking his beer as he walked over to her.

"She's new. Her name's Tory." she spoke.

"Liar!" Ben smashed the beer bottle onto the ground and grabbed Rory by the throat. "I knew you were cheating on me, Vicki."

"I'm not mom!" Rory shouted. "I'm your daughter, R-Rory!"

"Don't lie to me you bitch!" he yelled as he smacked the girl, causing her to collapse on the ground.

|

Rory rushed into the dojo, hiding her face from the class as she walked through them.

"You're late, Sommers!" Johnny called out, but she ignored him and rushed to the back.

Hawk and Miguel looked at each other before going after her, causing both Sensei's to go too.

"Rory." Hawk called out.

Rory slightly turned to see the four males standing behind her. "Geez. Can't a girl get some privacy?"

"What happened to your face?" Miguel pointed out.

"Nothing." she turned from them.

"I think you better tell us what happened, Ms. Sommers." Johnny said.

Rory immediately turned around, tears streaming down her face. "My dad hit me, ok!"

Everyone's face turned pale as they stared at the girl and the bruise on her cheek, shoulder, and the multiple ones on her stomach.

"I'm sorry, what?" Johnny asked.

"My dad hit me." she says more quietly as she takes a deep breath. "He's been hitting me for years. He doesn't do it all the time, but when he drinks, he sees me as my mom. She left us when I was younger."

Hawk stood in shock, unable to think of anything to say, but Miguel had a lot to say. "Jesus, Rory. Your zombie costume?"

The girl nodded and Johnny immediately turned around. "How did I not notice?" he slammed his fast into the wall, causing a small dent.

"Sensei." Hawk finally said something, and Rory's heart ached as his one word was directed to the older man.

"Sommers, I'm sorry this has happened to you. I... I wish I could help." Kreese finally said.

"It's not your responsibility to help me. I'm fine. I'll figure it out." Rory says.

"Is there someone you can stay with?" Johnny asks. "Any other family?"

"No." Rory shakes her head.

"You can stay with me." Miguel offers. "My mom will love it. Especially my Yaya."

"No." Rory says immediately. "I can't tell anyone else about my dad, please don't tell anyone. No authorities, no cops, no parents."