forty-three

It had been a few days since Rory's miscarriage, and she was taking it hard. She hadn't left Miguel's room unless she needed to use the bathroom. She hadn't talked to anyone unless it was news about Miguel, Robby, and Johnny in Mexico. Her ginger roots were showing more, and her fingernails had grown a bit longer. She had only showered once since she'd been at Carmen's.

"Rory, honey." Carmen knocked on the door.

"Yeah?" She looked up at her.

"Johnny and Miguel will be here soon. They're dropping Robby off at his mom's." She explains.

"Okay." The girl slowly stood up, multiple bones popping from the movement. "I'm gonna shower."

"Alright." Carmen smiled sympathetically.

|

"Guys, Rory's been through some things while you guys have been gone. I don't want to overwhelm her, so when she comes out her, just smile, hug her, nothing over the top." Carmen explains.

"What happened?" Johnny asks.

"Well—"

"Hey, guys." Rory walked out, awkwardly looking at her hands, well, mostly her finger tips since she was wearing Miguel's long sleeve shirt and it ran past her hand.

"Rory." Miguel smiled, rushing to hug her.

"Hey, Sommers." Johnny waved.

"I can't believe you ran off without saying anything." The girl laughed, hugging Miguel back as he slightly lifted her in the air.

"I know, I know." He sighed as he set her down, then awkward silence filled the room.

Everyone awkwardly looked around, not looking at each other, but their attention quickly snapped when Rory drew in a deep breath. "Well, I'm gonna go see Robby now." She says.

"I'll give you a ride." Johnny speaks up quickly.

"I, um, have a car." She tells him.

"Right. Right." He nods.

They watch as the girl grabs her keys and shoes, leaving the apartment with a small wave. As soon as the door closes, Johnny and Miguel start bombarding Carmen with questions.

"What happened to her?"

"She is not okay."

"She has eye bags. Rory never has eye bags."

"Did Cobra Kai do something to her?"

"Guys!" Carmen shuts them up. "This isn't my place to say, but... her parents are back and she had a miscarriage."

"Miscarriage? What the hell is a miscarriage?" Johnny asks. "Do you mean she missed her carriage?"

"Oh, god." Carmen rolled her eyes.

"No..." Miguel spoke quietly, looking at the floor with wide eyes. "She was pregnant. She lost her baby."

|

Rory managed to put her hair up into a decent bun while waiting for someone to answer the door. When it opened, a huge smile spread across her face at the sight of Robby.

"Oh, my god." He immediately hugged her, laughing in joy as she wrapped her arms and legs around him. "I missed you, Sommers."

"I missed you too, Keene." She smiled as he set her down. "I can't believe—"

Robby cut her off as he leaned down and connected their lips. Rory's eyes widened and her eyebrows slightly rose, but she kissed him back. Her fingers tangled in his hair while his hands snaked around her waist. This moment was definitely going to be put in the memory file in Rory's mind.