twenty-four

"Never underestimate your enemy." Kreese says. "Even if you think they're weaker than you, you always have to stay one step ahead of them. That's the only way to guarantee a victory. Is that understood?"

"Yes, Sensei." the class answers.

"Good." he says. "Now let's see if you truly understand the lesson. I want you to kick this tree off the top. Red, you start."

The guy gets in a fighting stance before stretching his leg up to kick the tree, but his pants rip and he falls to the ground.

"Pathetic." Kreese comments. "Rickenberger, show him."

The teen does a flip and tries to kick it the tree off, but he only falls to the ground, groaning in pain.

"Stop your sniveling." Kreese says.

"I can do it, Sensei." Hawk speaks up.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" he asks. Hawk steps up to the log. "Don't you want a running start?"

"Don't need one." Hawk says before kicking the log and knocking the tree down.

Kreese laughs. "Not bad. Not bad at all."

"But he cheated." Rickenberger says.

"No, he didn't." Kreese says. "Unlike you, he did exactly what I asked him to do. If your mind is agile, so are you. That's the best way to beat your enemy. Not just with brute strength. But you have to fight smart. Do that, and you'll always come out on top."

|

"Where are you rushing off too?" Hawk asks the girl as she quickly rushes out of the dojo.

"I have this thing." she tells him as she throws her bag into the backseat.

"What thing?" he questions.

"Just a thing. I'll see you later." Rory kisses him before climbing into the car.

It didn't take her long to get to the Juvenile Detention Center. The second she got there she rushed in.

"Hey. I'm here to see Robby Keene." she says.

"He's doing community service." the guy tells her.

"Where?" she asks.

"The homeless shelter on street 27." he says.

"Thanks." Rory smiles before leaving.

|

"Wow. What'd I miss?" Rory asks as she walks in to see spilled soup on the ground.

Robby looks up at the girl and smiles. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, I went to go see you, but the guard told me you were here, and I guess I was just desperate to see you. Or maybe, I just wanted some soup." she laughs.

"It'll be while till then." he tells her.

"Then I'm here to see you." Rory sighs as she grabs some napkins and helps him clean up.

"You don't have to help." Robby tells her.

"I want." she smiles.

Robby smiles back and the two quickly clean up the soup. Rory helps him set the pot back on the bar.

"New girl?" one of the guys in the kitchen ask. "I guess my horchata comment got to you, and you went looking for someone new. Maybe she'd be up for this dark roast too."

"Excuse me?" Rory questions.

"Just ignore him." Robby says.

"Is he the guy that did that to you?" Rory asks.