thirty-eight

"Guys, the limo is coming at six." Kyler announces. "So don't be late or else we're leaving. 'Cause my date and I, we on a mission."

Robby walks over to his girlfriend. "Hey."

"Hey." she smiles.

"You, uh... You gonna go?" Robby asks.

"Probably not. You know, I have no date." she jokes. "I could take you... if you're up for it."

"I'm up for it." he tells her.

"Can I ask Tory?" Rory asks. "I don't want her to be alone, and imagine if we all three showed up. Miyagi-Do and Eagle Fang would lose their shit."

Robby laughs. "I don't mind having two girls on either side of me."

Rory cocks an eyebrow at him. "You have two girls? No. More like me having one of each."

"Oh?" Robby's eyebrows slightly rise as he smiles at the girl.

"Oh." she smiles.

"Fall in!" Kreese yells. "Today's lesson is about balance. Not the way Miyagi-Do teaches it. You are going to learn how to get inside the head of your opponents... and throw them off balance. Pair up. Ais!"

Rory and Robby practice punches before looking over at Tory who was paired up with Kyler.

"Hey, lover girl." Rory smiled at her best friend.

"What's up?" Tory looks at her.

"We have a plan." Rory looks towards Robby. "Come to prom with us. Crashing you-know-who's big night would be a way to get your opponents off balance."

"Yeah. Maybe." Tory says.

"Well, with such short notice we'd have to get a ride. I still need a tux. You guys need dresses." Robby says.

"I think it's a great idea." Silver walks over to the the group. "And if you're going, you're going in style."

"Looks like we're set up from prom then." Rory smiles. "Come to my house at 6:30, gives us an hour and 30 minutes to get ready."

"You think I need that long?" Tory asks.

"No. But I do." Rory tells her. "This face takes up a lot of time when trying to make it beautiful."

"You're already beautiful." Robby says.

"Ok, then. More beautiful." Rory laughs.

"Wassup!" a voice yells throughout the dojo, catching everyone's attention. "You guys remember that line from the old Bud commercials? I guess you guys were too young for... probably weren't even born yet. Eddie, what's going on, man? Hey, good to see you. Dieter, how's your mom doing? Wish she'd call. You could've had a really good stepdad."

"Ew." Rory shudders.

"Sensei!" Chubs yells. "Sir, I am reporting for duty and I require no thanks."

"Thanks for what?" Kreese asks.

"Oh, uh, you know, just defending the dojo and I-I served my time, Sensei sir." Chubs explains.

"Look, we're trying to train for a tournament." Kreese tells him. "Let's carry on everyone!"

Rory sighs before turning back to Robby and throwing punches at him. But her attention went back to the two grown men as Kreese started insulting Chubs.

"...A joker, an embarrassment. You have no value here." the man says.

Chubs avoids eye contact as he speaks. "Wow, what? But, Sensei, I'm, um, one of the guys, you know?"