The Figure

The figure was so quick that, even with my enhanced eyesight, I struggled to make it out.

Will was thrown to the floor, Dorian Gray fired his gun again, but failed to hit his target. I watched M follow the blurry figure, but even he missed as he threw a fireball at it that blasted a hole through a nearby tree instead.

"What the fuck is this thing?!" Will exclaimed angrily, getting up from where he had been pushed over "Kill it!" he snapped.

Dorian Gray was already pointing his pistol, readying himself for another attack. M began to wordlessly chant a spell, his eyes staying focused on the figure as it moved from one spot to the next, never stopping.

Will was already running toward it when Dorian fired the pistol again,

"It's like it doesn't exist," Kian muttered as we watched Will run at the figure.

"Have you ever seen anything like it before?" I asked.

"No, I haven't," Kian replied, the pain from the bullet evident in his voice. I helped him up from the floor, taking his weight as best I could.

He put a hand on his stomach and looked at me. His face was pale, and beads of sweat were forming above his eyebrows.

Fuck. The bullet might not be able to kill him, but it could still cause him pain. I hated seeing him like this.

"I'll go after him," I said.

I could see the fear flickering in his deep red eyes.

"I'm coming too," he said.

"You can't even stand up," I reminded him as we made our way over to the wall of flames that was keeping everyone else trapped. Dorian Gray and M were thankfully too preoccupied with helping Will to notice us.

"You ready?" Kian asked.

I nodded, this was going to hurt, but I had to get Kian to Michael. We ran forward, passing through the fire barrier.

For a moment, the world was all flames and unbearable heat until we burst through. As we did, Kian collapsed against the floor, clutching his stomach with a grimace.

"Kian! Kian! Are you alright?" I shouted, dropping to the floor next to him.

"The... bullet..." he said, in pain "It's pierced... something."

In an instant Victoria and Michael, both joined me at Kian's side. Michael ran a hand over Kian's stomach before grimacing himself.

"Yeah, it's lodged in your kidney." Michael said, "Vic, you can help me get that bullet out, then I should be able to heal him."

"I need to go and deal with Will," I replied "I'll be back."

Kian nodded "Go, I'll be fine... these, uh, these guys... know what they're doing."

He tried to joke, despite the serious situation we were in. It didn't help how worried I was.

Harry Jekyll was sitting with my mum and Dylan, both looked white with shock.

Will was going to pay for what he had fucking done...

I turned, took a deep breath, closed my eyes and stepped back through the flames. I could feel the heat, even though my clothes, which were smoking and charred as I made it to the other side.

I walked over to where Will was laying on the floor, Dorian Gray and M standing over him. I saw that the figure had somehow managed to pierce Will's chest. Blood spilt freely down his shirt from between his ribs.

If only it had been a wooden stake...

I kneeled beside Will, who was breathing heavily, trying to steady himself.

"Don't move," I said, placing a hand firmly over Will's wound before I pushed down on it hard.

He looked up at me, and yelled out in pain "What the fuck, Alec?"

"You deserved that, you fucking asshole!" I replied, "Did you get a good look at that thing, or not?" I asked him, more interested in finding out who, or what, our mysterious attacker was.

A bead of sweat ran down Will's temple and then disappeared beneath his hairline "No. It's some kind of... monster, or spirit... I don't know." he wheezed out.

"Well, whatever it is, it's dead now," Dorian growled, pulling the trigger again.

I turned and followed the bullet and watched as the blurry figure moved before the bullet got anywhere close to hitting it. Shit. This thing was impossible to stop.

Not that I was sure I wanted to stop it. Whatever it was, it had taken Will's attention away from killing us, and that could only be a good thing.

"Do you have any more bullets for that?" I asked Dorian Gray, pointing to the pistol.

Dorian sighed "Yes, of course, I've got more bullets. What do you take me for, Mr Colby?"

"Call me Alec," I replied "That is my name."

"Fine, Alec," he grumbled under his breath.

He reached into his coat pocket for another clip of bullets. After loading them he passed me the gun.

"Are you going to just watch while I deal with this thing?" I asked.

I heard M scoff from behind me "What, do you want us to hold your hand?"

"Shut up, all of you!" Will snapped. He gestured toward me with his chin
"Get going, Alec. Wherever you have planned, let's hope it works, eh? Try and put one right in its head for me."

"I never said that I was going to shoot it," I replied, my voice turning hard "And, I would never do anything for you. Bleed out for all I care. I know it won't kill you, but I can hope that it's painful."

With that, I raised the gun and aimed carefully.

I knew if I shot Dorian Gray, M would kill me. If I shot Will, I would die from both Dorian Gray and M. If I shot Dorian Gray... there was nothing to prevent M from killing me anyway. Will was right, I couldn't win.

So, I quickly turned and shot M in the leg. while he yelled out I turned back to aim the gun at Dorian Gray.

"Don't try anything," I warned him.

Looking around I saw that I had achieved my goal. Shooting M had broken his concentration. The wall of fire was gone.

"You bastard!" Will shouted from his position on the floor.

I ignored him and walked towards the odd and blurry figure. From the corner of my eye, I saw Kian and Dylan rush over to Will, Dorian Gray and M. They had them covered.

My focus was on the figure, which stayed still as I walked toward it. I managed to see that it was definitely human. A young guy, from the light fluff on his chin. He wore a dark hoodie, which was pulled down low so that all I could see was the bottom half of his face and a pair of dirt-stained jeans.

As I reached him, his image seemed to stop moving. He became completely still.

"Hello?" I asked tentatively as I reached him "I'm Alec Colby, who are you?"

The figure reached up slowly and pulled down his hood. Familiar untidy dark hair and dark brown eyes stared back at me.

Oh, shit...

I was looking at my own face.