The Portal To Nowhere

"Oh, this is bad," Harry Jekyll said "Really bloody bad. If M already knew how to open a portal, then it's pretty obvious that he opened the one that allowed Callum to come through."

"So, what, he hijacks Will's spell and opens a portal to another universe for fun?" I asked "He must have had a reason for doing it."

"I agree," Victoria said "But, this doesn't answer our main question, how the hell do we get Callum back to his dimension?"

Hearing his name Callum appeared at Kian's side, followed by Michael, my mum and Dylan.

"We think we might have an answer for that particular question," Michael said, nodding to Callum who held the book they had been passed open.

"So, according to this, once a portal between dimensions is opened it leaves a tear in the fabric of space and time," Callum explained, "Like a scar after an operation, but it's invisible to the naked eye."

Well, what hope did we have of finding it then? Seems pretty fucking obvious that if the portal was invisible, we didn't have much hope of finding it.

"Wait, so you're saying that you're stuck here for good?" I asked him "You'll never be able to return home because no one can see where the portal is? Isn't there a way to track it?"

"There might be a way," Victoria said "Rips like that cause a massive surge in electromagnetic energy. We can try to pinpoint that."

"How big of a surge?" I asked.

"Big enough to create a hole that you can pass through into a different dimension," Victoria replied "But, just small enough that one person could pass through it. I don't think it would be bigger than that."

Still, it sounded like this was going to be the only chance we had of getting Callum back to his own dimension.

We had to take the chance.

"Sounds dangerous," my mum said "If it's still open that is."

She made a good point. We had no idea if the portal that Callum came through was still open. For all we knew, it could have bloody closed for good when I shot M and broke his concentration on the spell. If the wall of fire died when he was distracted, then it made sense that the portal would have closed at the same time.

But if it had stayed open while we fought Will, then it was also possible that someone else could have found a way through from the other side.

Or someone from our side could have passed through... Will, M and Dorian Gray had all just disappeared. They definitely hadn't teleported, they weren't close enough together to have held hands, so, what if M had taken them through the portal instead?

My mind was racing. The only thing I could think was that if this had happened then we were completely fucked. It meant that Callum was stuck here, and, we had no way of going after Will, M, and Dorian Gray. They would have a whole new world to play with, one where the supernatural didn't exist, according to Callum, but people with superpowers did.

A world they'd easily be able to take advantage of.

"Okay, how do we know that it's still open?" I said trying to stay calm "I think we need to find another way. We need to create our own portal."

"Alec, are you fucking mad?" Kian asked, his voice full of fear "Nobody alive, apart from M, has ever attempted to open a portal to another dimension. We don't even have the spell needed to open one and, even if we did, there's no guarantee that we could make it work."

"Yeah, I know that," I interrupted "I know, but, M had the spell so we can assume that it is possible."

"That's not a good argument to be making," Victoria said "Besides, how will we know which dimension the portal leads to? It's not exactly like we can pick and choose."

She was right, of course, she bloody was! We could end up absolutely anywhere, but, we had to take the risk. There was too much at stake for us not to.

"Well, then let's start looking at the possibilities. If it does work it means that we get Callum back to his own dimension. If not, then he stays with us."

"What about the cost?" Dylan asked "We don't know what could happen if he stays here."

"He's here with us now, and nothing bad has happened," I replied.

"That is not the point," Michael cut in before anyone else could object "Callum doesn't belong here."

"I am standing right here, dude," Callum said, a hint of anger in his voice "I might not belong in this world, but I am here nonetheless. So, why don't you all stop arguing and try to figure out how to fix it, okay? Because I'm scared and, honestly, I just want to go home."

Damn it. As I looked at Callum all I could see was a scared version of myself.
His terrified expression made me remember why we had to help him. He didn't deserve to be stuck here.

"Okay, do we have anything here that will tell us how to open a portal?" I asked Victoria and Mona.

"No, not here," Mona replied "But, if that information does exist anywhere, it'll be with The Coven."

"The Coven?" Victoria said, frowning "I'm not sure that's such a good idea, Mona, they banished us, remember?"

The Coven? I had no idea what the fuck that was. Some kind of magical government, from what I had heard about them so far, but they didn't sound like fun.

Mona sighed "Of course, I remember, Victoria. What I'm suggesting is that you go and talk to them. They'll listen, and maybe they'll be able to help."

I wasn't bloody optimistic about any of it, but, it couldn't hurt.

"Alright then," Victoria said, eventually "Let's go meet the crazy old bastards. I don't suppose we have any better ideas?"

Nobody answered. I didn't have any better ideas. None of us did. But, we had to try something. If The Coven had the spell to open a portal, then that was our best chance at returning Callum home.

Everything now depended on whether or not they listened to what we had to say.