Split Mind

"Your going first," Victoria said to Wesley, raising her hand. As she did the table slid back towards the wall, taking the rug with it and revealing a square metal door that had been sunk into the floor "Can you open it?"

Wesley nodded and pulled on a chain that hung around his neck, attached to it was a ornate looking key "I'm the only one who has the key," Wesley replied heading over to the trap door and bending down. He pushed the key into the lock and turned it "Just so you're prepared... Alec isn't used to visitors. I've been keeping him locked up down here for the last three years. His idea of course... he's waiting until we're able to find a cure for his curse."

Wesley paused looking up at Victoria who raised an eyebrow in response.

"Being a werewolf isn't a curse," I said harshly "Just, open the door Wesley."

With a final turn and a metallic click Wesley pulled on the small handle and lifted open the door. It swung upwards and revealed a pitch black staircase descending into the darkness below.

Wesley hesitated a moment before heading down into the darkness. Victoria let her green flames light up her palm as she followed him, I went last making sure to shut the trap door behind us.

After several feet there was light shining ahead of us which soon illuminated the room below us.

There was a large rectangular wooden bed set against one side of the room with a large dark green curtain covering its top and a small green rug on the rough stone floor, along with several large cabinets filled with books.

In one corner there was a large cage that looked like if had been bashed and bent by something large and angry, but it was still just about in one piece, and had been reinforced with new bars.

laying on the bed with his head in a book, dressed in jeans and a hoodie was Alec, his hair long and unkempt. He looked skinnier than I remembered, and he frowned as he saw Wesley approach with us behind him.

Alec sat up straight suddenly, "Wes? What are you doing down here?"

Wesley looked at me and Victoria "I'm afraid I didn't have a choice," he replied.

Alec looked confused and put his book down, "No, you don't get to come down here without an invitation! You need a special invite to be allowed in this place!"

What the hell?

Wesley sighed heavily, "Please Alec, Kian and Victoria just want to talk to you."

"Talk?" Alec asked, sounding scared "About what?"

Victoria sat down on the edge of the bed "We wanted some information, do you know of a Will Jackson?"

Alec shook his head "Why would you ask me that?" he replied curling himself up in the bed covers "You can't just walk in here and ask me about him!" he then buried his face and began to rock backwards and forwards.

Victoria turned to Wesley "What's happened to him?" she asked.

That's exactly what I wanted to know...

"Since he was bitten his mind seems to have split itself," Wesley replied "Sometimes he returns to his childhood, while other times..."

"He reads Homer in Ancient Greek," I finished as I picked up the book that Alec had been reading. The Iliad.

Alec jumped slightly when he heard my voice. He peeked out from behind the covers and glanced up at me "Do you read Homer too?" he asked quietly.

I had. In my many decades of being alive I remembered reading the Odyssey through and over again, after the old human butler that Dracula had paid to clean up after us had spent his odd days off teaching me read. Garrett. That was his name.

"Yes," I replied handing him the book.

"What do you want to know about Will?" Alec asked then as he sat back up against the pillows and stared at me.

"We want to find him," I replied.

Alec smiled "So I should have guessed," he replied sarcastically, hos expression suddenly changing "Look, you're not the first person to try to find me, and probably won't be the last."

What the fuck was going on here?

"Alec?" I asked, knowing that something wasn't right as Alec grinned at me and grabbed my hand, holding on tight.

"Guess again," he replied, but before I could respond the ground beneath our feet began to shake, dust falling from the ceiling and walls.

"Kian!" I heard Victoria shout from somewhere behind me "Close your eyes!"

She was right, it was our only chance of getting out of this world. We would have to travel to another one, but Alec's deep brown eyes kept me hooked as the celler fell to pieces around us.

"You can try to stop us Kian," he said "Hell, you might even find what you're looking for and win, but, you won't be able to stop Lucifer. The apocalypse will happen. I promise you that old friend."

Yeah, that wasn't Alec who was talking. It was Will Jackson. Shit. We had to get back to Pleasantville.

"You can win the battle, but either way, you're going to loose the war," Alec continued leaning towards me "But, what do I care? I'll die too. I know that, and maybe I even deserve it. I'm selfish. A coward. If there is anyone who needs to beg for forgiveness it's me, but, it's not going to change how things are is it? I chose my path a long time ago."

The shaking was coming faster now and the ceiling had collapsed in front of us, dust filling the air around us and clouding the area around Alec. Suddenly he let go of my hand, and then grabbed my head kissing me roughly, his tongue easily beating mine for control, and then just as quickly as it started he pulled back, licking his lips.

"You still taste the same," he smiled "You should go now Kian," the light then seemed to disappear from Alec's eyes before he fell back onto the bed.

Will was gone, and now it was my turn. I closed my eyes. The last thing I saw was the ceiling falling towards me, crashing through the top of the bed.