Arm Ourselves With Information

We landed back in the library of The Brown House, scaring a class of students who were in the middle of a lesson.

The teacher, a woman with short, blonde hair and dazzling blue eyes merely glanced up from the book she was reading from. Huh, I guess a bunch of people suddenly appearing out of nowhere was a regular thing for them to deal with.

"Sorry Mona," Victoria said "Bit of an emergency, can you take the kids back to their classroom?"

The dozen or so kids, dressed in their uniform of maroon jumpers and black trousers looked from Mona to Victoria, obviously wondering what was going on. I noticed the logo on their jumpers, two crossed wands in a pentagon, embroidered with golden stitching.

Mona smiled at them, "I'll explain everything later," she reassured them as she raised an arm to send a white smoke-like substance out through the door "Just go back to class and Mr Hatch will be waiting for you."

At her words the children left in a rush, one girl's braided pigtails swinging out behind her. Mona turned her attention back to us.

"What is it? What's wrong this time?"

"That's a long story," Victoria replied, glancing at Callum "And frankly we don't have that much time."

She reached over to the side of one of the heavy wooden desks where a stack of old books was piled up. With great care, she picked up the top book, glanced at it, before putting it on the floor.

"I'm looking for anything that we have on portals, alternative dimensions and Lucifer."

Her words caused Mona to raise an eyebrow in surprise "You're not looking for a way to summon him, are you?" she asked "Because, that is dark magic, even for you to mess around with Victoria. The Coven would not be impressed, and neither would The Council."

"Oh, we don't need to summon him, he's already been released from hell," Victoria said as she picked up another book "What we need is a way to find out if it's possible to create a crossing between dimensions. I think the cause is rooted in the spell used to release Lucifer, but, I can't be sure. I know that I read nearly spell to release him somewhere..." she trailed off muttering something under her breath, before shaking her head "I just don't understand how Will was able to open a portal without being able to control it in some way."

Thinking back to the night that Lucifer had been released and our fight with Will, I remembered how at first, the spell didn't seem to work.

"I don't think he was in control," I said "I think that it was just chance. At first, the spell didn't work, or at least, it didn't seem to. But, what if it did work, just not to release Lucifer."

"I don't see how that could happen," Mona responded after a moment "There must have been a counter spell cast by someone who could control the spell, change it to open a portal instead."

"This is very confusing," Callum said "All this talk of magic and Lucifer, this is a dangerous place."

He wasn't bloody wrong, but, Moonstone was home. Deep down it was a part of me. Supernatural apocalypse and all.

A feeling of dread crept its way into my chest as I recalled the showdown with Will. There had been someone else there who was fully capable of transforming the spell: M.

The mysterious sorcerer was a question mark in the grand scheme of The House Of The Apocalypse. It was clear that they needed him, but he was far more powerful than any of them on paper.

Why the fuck would he be working for them? More to the point, why was he doing the bidding of Dorian Gray?

It just didn't make sense.