Balance

"Shit!" Alec shouted.

I ran to Michael, just in time to see his wings fall to ground, leaving two large gaping holes in his suit that poured with blood. His eyes were unfocused and he was losing consciousness. I dropped down beside him, placing my hands on his shoulders as if this would give him some sort of comfort when it's clear that there was nothing I could do.

"Michael!"

His eyes blinked, looking at me, but not really seeing me.

"I need you to stay awake, okay?" I said. "You're going to be alright. Stay with me."

He nodded, breathing heavily. After a few seconds I felt myself being pulled away from him. Alec held me as Victoria held her hands over the wounds, but nothing was happening.

Then, a soft blue glow surrounded us, slowly enveloping Michael. As the glow faded away and the hole in his suit sealed closed and the blood disappeared. He looked up at me and smiled weakly.

"What the hell was that?" I asked, still reeling from what has just happened.

Michael sat up, looking oddly at peace "Heaven," he said simply "They took away my wings and healed me."

Alec put an arm around my shoulders. I leaned back into his chest, trying to calm down. Victoria stood, brushing herself off.

"What does that mean?" she asked.

"It means he's now human," Sandalphon replied as he walked over to us "That was the justice of Heaven."

Didn't seem much like justice to me...

"See it's not that I chose the wrong side, I followed the rules," Sandalphon said sadly looking at Michael "I never wanted it to come to this, brother."

Michael placed his hand on Sandalphon's shoulder "And you should have known better than to follow Lucifer, Sandalphon. You were supposed to be the good one."

"I was human once Micheal," Sandalphon replied "My flaws are still there.They never truly went away."

Michael looked at him "But your heart is pure, I believe you were doing the right thing."

"No," Sandalphon replied "I was being selfish. You were right before, I was trying to create a fantasy. This isn't what I intended."

"So, do the right thing," Michael said softly "There is still time to change things."

"It's too late for me," Sandalphon said sadly "The damage has been done. Lilith has already made her move. You can't stop what's to come."

What was to come? What had Lilith done? Whatever it was... we would find a way to stop it. We had to. I couldn't loose Alec.

"No. We will find a way," I insisted.

Sandalphon looked at me sympathetically "I wish I had your faith, Kian. But, my actions have consequences... Alec still has to die."

I couldn't believe that. No fucking way. Not after everything we'd survived so far...

"Seems like I'm pretty alive," Alec said "So, that blows your theory out the water."

"This version of you is alive, yes," Sandalphon replied "But, you are an exception, not the rule."

Maybe so, but I wasn't going to give up that easily. I couldn't.

"I am sorry, Kian, but the rules dictate that the sacrifice must be made," Sandalphon said "The balance must be kept."

I opened my mouth to protest, then shut it again. Sandalphon had a point. If Alec's death was keeping the apocalypse from taking over, then the balance needed to be maintained.